Fujitsu Surveys Business Leaders Across 15 Countries on the Status of Digital Transformation Initiatives
Finding that 34% of digital transformation initiatives lead to positive outcomes
TOKYO, Apr, 18 2017 - (JCN Newswire) - Fujitsu today announced the results of its Global Digital Transformation Survey, in which it surveyed 1,614 business leaders across 15 countries for the purpose of learning about the status of, and trends in, digital transformation initiatives.
The survey results found that 89% of business leaders confirmed their organizations are undertaking digital transformation initiatives leveraging digital technologies such as artificial intelligence (AI) and the Internet of Things (IoT), and 34% of such initiatives had already delivered positive outcomes. In addition, the survey illuminated the key factors for success in digital transformation, as well as the challenges and necessary capabilities, and perceptions relating to AI.
In light of these findings, Fujitsu will work with customers to further advance their digital transformations.
Today, AI, IoT, and other digital technologies are becoming embedded into business and society, bringing about digital transformations and changing business and our daily lives across the globe. To understand the status of corporate digital transformation initiatives, their success factors and challenges, as well as requirements for technology partners, in February 2017, Fujitsu conducted a Global Digital Transformation Survey, and today released its results.
Summary of Survey Findings
- 89% of business leaders responded that their organizations are undertaking digital transformation initiatives. 34% of these initiatives had already delivered positive outcomes, contributing to business growth.
- Important factors for successful digital transformations are having talented staff with the right skills and strong leadership, as well as the establishment of organizations that can respond to the speed of change of digital transformations. In addition, it is also necessary that co-creation be performed with technology partners which have the capability of digital technology.
- In the digital era, professional knowledge of digital technology as well as creativity and imagination are in demand. To deliver positive outcomes from digital transformation initiatives, it is necessary to acquire people with those capabilities, or to foster the development of such talent.
Results of the Survey
1. Status of digital transformation initiatives
89% of business leaders reported that their organizations have embarked on digital transformation initiatives. The status of such initiatives is not just at the planning or testing stage. Many are in the implementation phase, delivering tangible results. 34% of such projects have already produced business outcomes such as increased revenue or improved customer relationships.
2. Digital transformation initiatives in functional areas and industries
Looking at digital transformation initiatives, Marketing is the top functional area (38%), followed by Workstyle (35%), and Operation and Maintenance (30%). In terms of industry-specific initiatives, Finance and Insurance (51%) and Healthcare (51%) are the major areas of digital transformation, followed by Manufacturing.
3. Outcomes of digital transformation
The top three outcomes of digital transformation were increase in revenue (46%), improvement of customer relationships (44%), and strengthening competitiveness of products (36%), confirming the contribution of digital transformations to business growth.
4. Key factors for successful digital transformations
According to the results of the survey, important factors for successful digital transformations are having talented staff with the right skills (19%), strong leadership (18%) and streamlined organizations and process (17%). In addition, the survey also revealed that, to successfully carry out digital transformation, it is necessary to co-create with technology partners having technological capability as well as understanding of business and alignment with the vision and strategy.
5. Perceptions of AI
Business leaders have high expectations regarding AI, with 77% of them viewing AI as an opportunity. Most of them also agree that AI will enhance the capabilities of people in the future.
6. Capabilities required for digital transformations
Business leaders responded that the most important capabilities that people need to strengthen in the digital era are professional knowledge of digital technologies (18%) and creativity and imagination (17%) among other necessary capabilities. The results also indicate that, to successfully implement digital transformation initiatives, it is important to foster the development of digital talent, or acquire such talent.
Details of the Global Digital Transformation Survey Report can be downloaded at the following link: http://www.fujitsu.com/global/vision/
In today's society, where digital transformations are advancing around the world, Fujitsu believes co-creation leveraging digital technologies (Digital Co-creation) will become a business norm. In conjunction with this survey, today Fujitsu is also releasing its Fujitsu Technology and Service Vision 2017, which proposes a unique approach to Digital Co-creation.
Overview of the Survey
1. Survey period:February 2017
2. Survey respondents:
1) Company size: Mid- and large-size companies and organizations
2) Position:Management (CEO/CMO/CFO/CIO/CDO/CSO) and key decision-makers
3) Countries and the number of respondents: 15 countries, 1,614 respondents
Japan (309), U.S.A (258), Canada (56), U.K. (103), Germany (103), Spain (103), France (103), Sweden (52), Finland (56), China (103), South Korea (55), Singapore (103), Thailand (52), Indonesia (52), Australia (106)
3. Methodology:Online input without registering name
4. Areas of the survey:
1) Status of digital transformation: Business areas, status, outcomes, success factors, challenges
2) Partners required for digital transformation
3) Perception of AI, required capabilities in the digital era
About Fujitsu Ltd
Fujitsu is the leading Japanese information and communication technology (ICT) company, offering a full range of technology products, solutions, and services. Approximately 159,000 Fujitsu people support customers in more than 100 countries. We use our experience and the power of ICT to shape the future of society with our customers. Fujitsu Limited (TSE:6702; ADR:FJTSY) reported consolidated revenues of 4.7 trillion yen (US$41 billion) for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2016. For more information, please see http://www.fujitsu.com.
* Please see this press release, with images, at:
Public and Investor Relations
Source: Fujitsu Ltd
Sectors: Enterprise IT
Copyright ©2017 JCN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Japan Corporate News Network.