Oct, 11 2018 12:24 JST
Updated Mazda CX-5 Launched in Japan
Becomes the first model in Japan available with SKYACTIV-G 2.5T engine; special edition model features a premium-feeling interior
HIROSHIMA, Japan, Oct, 11 2018 - (JCN Newswire) - Mazda Motor Corporation has begun accepting pre-orders for the updated Mazda CX-5 at dealerships throughout Japan. The freshened crossover SUV offers a distinctive design coupled with the pleasure of Jinba-ittai driving - responsive control over driving, turning and braking - in everyday driving situations. Pre-orders have also begun for the CX-5 Exclusive Mode special edition. This range-topping special edition model combines carefully selected materials that create a look of warmth and modernity. Sales of the updated CX-5 and CX-5 Exclusive Mode special edition start on November 22.
Sold in 120 different countries and accounting for a full quarter of the brand's global sales volume, the CX-5 is a core model in the Mazda lineup. Popular for its striking design, innovative SKYACTIV technologies and a pleasing performance feel that makes you want to keep on driving, the car has been acclaimed domestically and in overseas markets. The CX-5 has received more than 100 awards, including the prestigious Japan Car of the Year award, since the launch of the first-generation model in 2012.(1)
With this update, the SKYACTIV-G 2.5T is added to the powertrain lineup, making the CX-5 the first model in Japan available with this 2.5-liter inline-four direct-injection turbocharged gasoline engine. While the diesel delivers powerful torque and excels at long-distance cruising, the SKYACTIV-G 2.5T realizes a powerful and refined driving experience. Acceleration response is faithful from low revs, through the mid-range and up to the highest rpms, creating an interactive feel that makes drivers want to stay behind the wheel.
G-Vectoring Control Plus (GVC Plus) enhances handling stability on slippery road surfaces and when changing lanes on the highway. This updated version of G-Vectoring Control now regulates vehicle motion when returning the steering wheel to center as well as when beginning a steering action.
Models powered by the SKYACTIV-D 2.2 diesel engine are available for the first time with a six-speed manual transmission. The updated CX-5 diesel becomes the only model in its class(2) to offer a manual option, providing SUV drivers with the pleasure of greater control over the car.
As the highest-grade CX-5 available, the Exclusive Mode special edition combines a finely-crafted interior with high-quality materials such as Nappa leather and real woodgrain decorative panels to create a refined cabin space that blends warmth and modernity. Such high-quality materials and fine craftsmanship bring new joy to the experience of owning a CX-5.
Moving forward, Mazda will continue to regularly update models so customers can enjoy driving pleasure and outstanding environmental and safety performance in all kinds of common driving situations. In so doing, the company aims to build a strong bond with customers and become an irreplaceable presence in their lives.
Updates to the Mazda CX-5
Powertrain, handling stability and ride comfort
- The first model in Japan available with the SKYACTIV-G 2.5T, a 2.5-liter inline-four direct-injection gasoline turbo engine. Burning regular unleaded gasoline, it outputs up to 169 kW (230PS) at 4,250 rpms and produces up to 420 N - m (42.8kgf - m) of torque at 2,000 rpms.
- GVC Plus, a new technology that improves handling stability at high speeds and during emergency maneuvers while suppressing sudden, unintended movements to enhance passengers' peace of mind, comes as standard equipment on all model grades.
- The SKYACTIV-MT six-speed manual transmission is now available with the SKYACTIV-D 2.2 diesel engine in both FWD and AWD configurations.
Advances in safety and convenience
- Nighttime pedestrian detection is added to Advanced Smart City Braking Support (Advanced SCBS).(4)
- A 360 degress View Monitor is standard equipment on the Exclusive Mode special edition and is available as a factory-installed option for all model grades.
- Mazda Connect car-connectivity system supports Apple CarPlay(5) for the first time on a Mazda model in Japan.(4)
- Mazda Connect car-connectivity system supports Android Auto(6) for the first time on a Mazda model in Japan.(4)
Improvements in design and quality
- The 17-inch aluminum wheels are painted Gray Metallic instead of Dark Silver. (The design is unchanged.)
- The climate control panel, switches and dials are redesigned for better feel and operability.(4)
- For models with normal speakers, the surface material of the A-pillar trim has been changed from resin to fabric. In addition, tweeters have been added at the base of the A-pillar, increasing the number of speakers from four to six.(7)
Exclusive Mode special edition (with SKYACTIV-G 2.5T or SKYACTIV-D 2.2)
The Exclusive Mode special edition offers Mazda's highest-grade interior, using specially selected materials such as Nappa leather upholstery and real woodgrain trim to create a premium cabin space with the feel of a higher-class vehicle. In addition, features and functions that improve comfort and safety enhance the joy of ownership.
- Seats are upholstered in soft, smooth Nappa leather and the exclusive interior color coordination uses black on the pillars and ceiling and Deep Red in the lower areas.
- Real woodgrain is used in decorative trim panels for a look of refinement and warmth.
- The frameless rear-view mirror provides a wider field of vision and a cleaner look.
- 19-inch aluminum wheels with exclusive dark gloss paint accentuate a look of composure and toughness.
- Both front seats feature a ventilation system that extracts hot air trapped between the occupant and the seat surface.
- The seven-inch TFT LCD display mounted in the center of the meter cluster shows essential driving information in a well-organized and easy-to-read manner.
- White LEDs are used throughout the cabin for consistent interior lighting, and foot lamps come as standard equipment for both front and rear seats.
(1) Global award count for first- and second-generation models from February 2012 through September 2018. (Based on Mazda's own research.)
(2) New Japan-made SUVs with 2,000 cc or larger diesel engines sold as catalog models as of September 2018. (Based on Mazda's own research.)
(3) The base models for the special editions are the 25T L Package (FWD/AWD) with SKYACTIV-G 2.5T and XD L Package (FWD/AWD) with SKYACTIV-D 2.2.
(4) Standard equipment on all model grades.
(5) Apple CarPlay is a trademark of Apple Inc. registered in the U.S. and other countries. A USB cable is required to use CarPlay. Check the below website for compatible iPhone models.
(6) Android and Android Auto are trademarks of Google LLC. A USB cable is needed to use Android Auto. Check the below website for compatible smartphone models.
(7) Standard equipment on all models except the Exclusive Mode special edition. Exclusive Mode models come standard with a 10-speaker Bose sound system featuring AUDIOPILOT 2 + Centerpoint 2.
Mazda Motor Corporation (TSE: 7261) started manufacturing tools in 1929 and soon branched out into production of trucks for commercial use. In the early 1960s, Mazda launched its first passenger car models and began developing rotary engines. Still headquartered in Hiroshima in western Japan, Mazda today ranks as one of Japan's leading automakers, and exports cars to the United States and Europe for over 30 years. For more information, please visit www.mazda.com
Corporate Communications Division
Mazda Motor Corporation, Japan
mailto: [email protected]
Copyright ©2018 JCN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Japan Corporate News Network.
|Mazda CX-5 XD Exclusive Mode|
Latest Press Release
More Latest Release >>
NSITEXE Develops Test Chip with Next-generation Semiconductor IP Core Called a DFP
Dec 13, 2018 18:33 JST
NEC: Members Selected for the Research Program for the Development of a Quantum Annealing Machine Enabling High-Efficiency, High-Speed Processing
Dec 13, 2018 17:37 JST
Mitsubishi Motors to Relocate to a New Headquarters
Dec 13, 2018 17:20 JST
Production Milestone for Pratt & Whitney GTF PW1200G Engine at Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Aero Engines in Japan
Dec 13, 2018 10:28 JST
Mitsubishi Motors Secures Largest Fleet Sale of XPANDER to Garuda Indonesia
Dec 12, 2018 14:04 JST
Mitsubishi Corporation: Smart Meter Data Collection System 'Experiment' Launched in Hamamatsu
Dec 12, 2018 13:20 JST
GARDP, Eisai and Takeda Announce Partnership in the Search for New Antibiotics
Dec 12, 2018 10:06 JST
Showa Denko Announces Notice Regarding the Repurchase of Own Shares
Dec 11, 2018 14:00 JST
Showa Denko Forecasts Payment of Term-end Dividend
Dec 11, 2018 14:00 JST
Showa Denko Maps Out New Medium-term Business Plan "The TOP 2021"
Dec 11, 2018 14:00 JST
MHPS: Midwest Utility Orders Game-Changing SmartER GAC Gas Turbine
Dec 10, 2018 15:42 JST
TOYOTA GAZOO Racing to Exhibit GR Supra Super GT Concept at the Tokyo Auto Salon
Dec 10, 2018 11:30 JST
MHPS Receives Trainees from Vietnam Electricity (EVN)
Dec 10, 2018 11:05 JST
Hitachi Automotive Systems to Transfer its Commercial Vehicle Steering Business to Knorr-Bremse
Dec 10, 2018 09:39 JST
MHI Completes Capital-related Measures Affecting Mitsubishi Aircraft Corporation
Dec 07, 2018 13:46 JST
Showa Denko: New Aluminum Can JV holds Ceremony for Completion of Factory in Thailand
Dec 07, 2018 11:30 JST
Fujitsu and Waseda University Develop Simulation Technology to Rapidly Pinpoint Causes of Congestion
Dec 07, 2018 11:18 JST
DENSO Invests Nearly $100 Million in Startups to Advance Mobility
Dec 07, 2018 09:56 JST
MASARU OZAKI at America's Foremost Contemporary Art Show, Art Miami 2018
Dec 07, 2018 08:45 JST
Toyota: bynd Innovates the Way People Move in the City
Dec 06, 2018 17:02 JST