Jul, 13 2018 13:00 JST
Hong Kong Fashion Week Unveils the Next Wave in Technology
Industry experts gather to chart the future of fashion
HONG KONG, Jul, 13 2018 - (ACN Newswire) - Organised by HKTDC, the 25th Hong Kong Fashion Week for Spring/Summer (9-12 July) featured a seminar titled "The Next Wave in Fashion Technology" at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.
During the seminar, Dr Li Li, Associate Professor at the Institute of Textiles and Clothing, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, analysed the topic "Intelligent Manufacturing and its Medical Application of Wearable Electronic Textile Products" while Dr Andrew Zhu, CEO of TOZI Technology Company Limited, spoke about "Intelligent 3D Human Modelling - Making Shopping Well-fitting Clothes Easy and Fun".
Intelligent Manufacturing and its Medical Application of Wearable Electronic Textile Products
Dr Li Li co-ordinated the "A Novel Approach in Thermal Functional Textile with Conductive Materials" project which won a Silver Award at the 42nd International Exhibition of Invention of Geneva, Switzerland in 2014. She explained that she had crossed over from a background in knitwear design into technical design and textile studies. The challenge, said Dr Li, was to design and develop electronic textile fabrics that are as washable, comfortable, light and soft - and fashionable - as traditional fabrics. These fabrics - or conductive yarns - could then be applied across a range of uses and needs including heath care and medical uses, outdoor apparel, and even for keeping people warm on their way to work.
During the seminar Dr Li also explained the following developments:
- To date "heated garments" mainly means placing heating pads inside the fabric, but technology has improved the heating part of the fabric, making it more elastic, more comfortable, and more controllable in terms of both the temperature and where the heat is directed.
- When the conductive element becomes part of the actual fabric, rather than a part that is place inside the fabric, the possibilities for both design and use are expanded. These types of clothing can then be applied for everyday use, such as evening wear and underwear, and for specific purposes - such as for use by Winter Olympic athletes who need to stay warm.
- These new fabrics are not only soft, thin and light, they are washable. Combining conductive yarns with regular yarns also opens up choices in terms of both colours and styles.
- Temperature levels can either be controlled by a button placed somewhere on the garment or via Bluetooth from mobile phones
- This technology also lends itself towards the development of "medicine release" garments, where the user can control dosages throughout the day.
Intelligent 3D Human Modelling - Making Shopping Well-fitting Clothes Easy and Fun
Dr Andrew Zhu - a graduate (MPhil and Doctor's degree) from the Institute of Textile and Clothing at Hong Kong Polytechnic University - explained how TOZI had looked into the booming online shopping trend but had found that there was a return rate of more than 30 per cent when it came to clothes purchased. Hence the company turned its attention to "intelligent 3D human modeling technology". This technology requires two mobile photos to be taken - and then it can calculate accurate body measurements immediately, meaning custom-made clothes can now be purchased.
During the seminar Dr Zhu further explained how this technology:
- Tries to solve the main problem with online clothing purchases - which is fitting - by getting the measurements precise.
- Makes the process more convenient than using scanners, which are expensive to purchase and require the shopper to travel to where this service is offered.
- Is adaptable, accurate and simple - and can read the body contours under clothes.
- Can customise a 3D body model based on the contours under the clothes in the two 2D mobile photos supplied.
- Has developed apps to help clients maintain health and body shape, choose their own fabric and bespoke clothes, and that recommends clothes to suit individuals.
The Fashion Week for Spring/Summer concluded successfully yesterday. Around 11,000 buyers from 65 countries and regions attended the four-day fair (9-12 July).
Hong Kong Fashion Week for Spring/Summer: http://www.hktdc.com/hkfashionweekss/
Photo Download: https://bit.ly/2uk4uYh
Established in 1966, the Hong Kong Trade Development Council (HKTDC) is a statutory body dedicated to creating opportunities for Hong Kong's businesses. With 50 offices globally, including 13 on the Chinese mainland, the HKTDC promotes Hong Kong as a platform for doing business with China, Asia and the world. With more than 50 years of experience, the HKTDC organises international exhibitions, conferences and business missions to provide companies, particularly SMEs, with business opportunities on the mainland and in international markets, while providing business insights and information via trade publications, research reports and digital channels including the media room. For more information, please visit: www.hktdc.com/aboutus. Follow us on Google+, [email protected], LinkedIn.
Copyright ©2019 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Asia Corporate News Network.
More Latest Release >>
Fujitsu and EXest Use AI to Assist Tourists Visiting Japan
Jan 16, 2019 10:14 JST
Hitachi Wins 600 EMU Train Cars for Intercity Express Service from the Taiwan Railways Administration
Jan 15, 2019 17:34 JST
Eisai to Present Results of Post-Hoc Analyses of Lenvima (Lenvatinib) Phase III Reflect Study in Hepatocellular Carcinoma at 2019 Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium
Jan 15, 2019 14:31 JST
SDK Group Develops Ultralight Laminate-type Radiator for EV Battery Modules
Jan 15, 2019 14:30 JST
Eisai's New Drug Application for Insomnia Disorder Treatment Lemborexant Submitted in the United States
Jan 15, 2019 14:23 JST
Fujitsu and TC3 Promote Quantum Inspired Digital Annealer Next-Generation Architecture in Topcoder Contest
Jan 15, 2019 11:10 JST
Toyota Premieres New Supra at Detroit Auto Show
Jan 15, 2019 08:03 JST
2020 Lexus RC F and RC F Track Edition Debut in Detroit
Jan 14, 2019 14:10 JST
NEC Contributes to Ultra-High-Definition Live Video Transmission Test Utilizing 5G Conducted by NTT DOCOMO and TOBU RAILWAY
Jan 14, 2019 09:31 JST
TOYOTA GAZOO Racing World Rally Team Launches 2019 Challenge at the Autosport International Show
Jan 14, 2019 09:15 JST
Lexus LC Convertible concept Makes World Debut in Detroit
Jan 11, 2019 19:26 JST
Mitsubishi Shipbuilding Holds Christening Ceremony for Next-Generation LNG Carrier "NOHSHU MARU"
Jan 11, 2019 13:08 JST
Mazda Develops World's First Cold-Stamped Parts Using 1,310 MPa-Class High-Strength Steel
Jan 10, 2019 13:16 JST
MHIET: Two MGS Diesel Generator Sets Delivered for Hotel in Shanghai
Jan 10, 2019 11:52 JST
Mazda MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary Edition to Premiere at Chicago Auto Show
Jan 09, 2019 12:24 JST
Hitachi Automotive Systems Develops Technology for On-board Stereo Cameras
Jan 08, 2019 14:29 JST
MHI President Miyanaga's 2019 New Year Message
Jan 08, 2019 14:20 JST
MHPS President Ando Delivers New Year's Message to Employees for 2019
Jan 08, 2019 14:10 JST
MHI and Sumitomo Receive Order for Rehabilitation and Maintenance of Manila MRT-3
Jan 08, 2019 13:42 JST
Mitsubishi Corporation and Kaneka to Set Up New Processed Oil Products Factory in Indonesia
Jan 08, 2019 10:29 JST
|During the seminar, "The Next Wave in Fashion Technology", Dr Li Li, Associate Professor, Institute of Textiles and Clothing, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, addressed the topic of "Intelligent Manufacturing and its Medical Application of Wearable Electronic Textile Products".|
|Dr Andrew Zhu, CEO, TOZI Technology Company Limited, shed lights on, "Intelligent 3D Human Modelling - Making Shopping Well-fitting Clothes Easy and Fun".|