Jul, 13 2018 13:00 JST
Hong Kong Fashion Week Unveils the Next Wave in Technology
Industry experts gather to chart the future of fashion
HONG KONG, Jul, 13 2018 - (ACN Newswire) - Organised by HKTDC, the 25th Hong Kong Fashion Week for Spring/Summer (9-12 July) featured a seminar titled "The Next Wave in Fashion Technology" at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.
During the seminar, Dr Li Li, Associate Professor at the Institute of Textiles and Clothing, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, analysed the topic "Intelligent Manufacturing and its Medical Application of Wearable Electronic Textile Products" while Dr Andrew Zhu, CEO of TOZI Technology Company Limited, spoke about "Intelligent 3D Human Modelling - Making Shopping Well-fitting Clothes Easy and Fun".
Intelligent Manufacturing and its Medical Application of Wearable Electronic Textile Products
Dr Li Li co-ordinated the "A Novel Approach in Thermal Functional Textile with Conductive Materials" project which won a Silver Award at the 42nd International Exhibition of Invention of Geneva, Switzerland in 2014. She explained that she had crossed over from a background in knitwear design into technical design and textile studies. The challenge, said Dr Li, was to design and develop electronic textile fabrics that are as washable, comfortable, light and soft - and fashionable - as traditional fabrics. These fabrics - or conductive yarns - could then be applied across a range of uses and needs including heath care and medical uses, outdoor apparel, and even for keeping people warm on their way to work.
During the seminar Dr Li also explained the following developments:
- To date "heated garments" mainly means placing heating pads inside the fabric, but technology has improved the heating part of the fabric, making it more elastic, more comfortable, and more controllable in terms of both the temperature and where the heat is directed.
- When the conductive element becomes part of the actual fabric, rather than a part that is place inside the fabric, the possibilities for both design and use are expanded. These types of clothing can then be applied for everyday use, such as evening wear and underwear, and for specific purposes - such as for use by Winter Olympic athletes who need to stay warm.
- These new fabrics are not only soft, thin and light, they are washable. Combining conductive yarns with regular yarns also opens up choices in terms of both colours and styles.
- Temperature levels can either be controlled by a button placed somewhere on the garment or via Bluetooth from mobile phones
- This technology also lends itself towards the development of "medicine release" garments, where the user can control dosages throughout the day.
Intelligent 3D Human Modelling - Making Shopping Well-fitting Clothes Easy and Fun
Dr Andrew Zhu - a graduate (MPhil and Doctor's degree) from the Institute of Textile and Clothing at Hong Kong Polytechnic University - explained how TOZI had looked into the booming online shopping trend but had found that there was a return rate of more than 30 per cent when it came to clothes purchased. Hence the company turned its attention to "intelligent 3D human modeling technology". This technology requires two mobile photos to be taken - and then it can calculate accurate body measurements immediately, meaning custom-made clothes can now be purchased.
During the seminar Dr Zhu further explained how this technology:
- Tries to solve the main problem with online clothing purchases - which is fitting - by getting the measurements precise.
- Makes the process more convenient than using scanners, which are expensive to purchase and require the shopper to travel to where this service is offered.
- Is adaptable, accurate and simple - and can read the body contours under clothes.
- Can customise a 3D body model based on the contours under the clothes in the two 2D mobile photos supplied.
- Has developed apps to help clients maintain health and body shape, choose their own fabric and bespoke clothes, and that recommends clothes to suit individuals.
The Fashion Week for Spring/Summer concluded successfully yesterday. Around 11,000 buyers from 65 countries and regions attended the four-day fair (9-12 July).
Hong Kong Fashion Week for Spring/Summer: http://www.hktdc.com/hkfashionweekss/
Photo Download: https://bit.ly/2uk4uYh
Established in 1966, the Hong Kong Trade Development Council (HKTDC) is a statutory body dedicated to creating opportunities for Hong Kong's businesses. With 50 offices globally, including 13 on the Chinese mainland, the HKTDC promotes Hong Kong as a platform for doing business with China, Asia and the world. With more than 50 years of experience, the HKTDC organises international exhibitions, conferences and business missions to provide companies, particularly SMEs, with business opportunities on the mainland and in international markets, while providing business insights and information via trade publications, research reports and digital channels including the media room. For more information, please visit: www.hktdc.com/aboutus. Follow us on Google+, [email protected], LinkedIn.
Copyright ©2019 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Asia Corporate News Network.
More Latest Release >>
Biomedical Software Startup BostonGene Secures $50M in Series A Financing from NEC
Apr 25, 2019 15:13 JST
Toyota Strengthens Head Office Research and Development Capabilities with New Facility for Building Ever-better Cars
Apr 25, 2019 13:03 JST
Toyota's TRI-AD, Maxar Technologies and NTT DATA Collaborate to Build High-Definition Maps for Autonomous Vehicles from Space
Apr 25, 2019 11:58 JST
MHPS Receives Order from HAZAMA ANDO CORP. for "MEGAMIE" Hybrid Power Generation System
Apr 25, 2019 11:44 JST
Showa Aluminum Can to Establish Third Production Base in Vietnam and Expand Existing Can End Production Lines
Apr 25, 2019 11:30 JST
Eisai to Present Latest Data on Lemborexant and Perampanel at Annual American Academy of Neurology Meeting
Apr 24, 2019 17:53 JST
NEC Accelerates Services Business Leveraging Network Strengths Under the New Brand "NEC Smart Connectivity"
Apr 24, 2019 13:06 JST
Fujitsu Contributes to Achievement of SDGs, Resolution of Challenges Surrounding Climate Change, Resource Management
Apr 24, 2019 11:44 JST
Hitachi Agrees to Acquire JR Automation, a Robotic System Integrator in the US
Apr 24, 2019 11:28 JST
Eisai Selected as Competitive ICT Strategy Company for 2019
Apr 24, 2019 09:36 JST
Fujitsu Named "Competitive IT Strategy Company" for 2019
Apr 23, 2019 15:58 JST
Hitachi Receives Order for Two Voltage-Sourced Frequency Converters for Chubu Electric Power Higashi Shimizu Substation
Apr 23, 2019 15:43 JST
Showa Denko Starts Service to Measure Performance of Noxious-GHG Removal Equipment
Apr 23, 2019 13:00 JST
Toyota: The Future of Zero-Emission Trucking Takes Another Leap Forward
Apr 23, 2019 09:00 JST
Mitsubishi Shipbuilding Holds Christening Ceremony for Next-Generation LNG Carrier "Diamond Gas Sakura"
Apr 22, 2019 15:10 JST
Network International and JCB enable JCB Contactless acceptance in the United Arab Emirates
Apr 22, 2019 15:00 JST
Toyota Establishes Joint Research Institute with China's Tsinghua University
Apr 22, 2019 11:20 JST
Fujitsu to Introduce Sustainable Ingredients to Employee Cafeterias on Ongoing Basis
Apr 22, 2019 11:08 JST
TOYOTA GAZOO Racing Eyes South American Gravel Glory
Apr 19, 2019 17:30 JST
Toyota, DENSO and SoftBank Vision Fund to Invest $1 Billion in Uber's Advanced Technologies Group
Apr 19, 2019 09:35 JST
|During the seminar, "The Next Wave in Fashion Technology", Dr Li Li, Associate Professor, Institute of Textiles and Clothing, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, addressed the topic of "Intelligent Manufacturing and its Medical Application of Wearable Electronic Textile Products".|
|Dr Andrew Zhu, CEO, TOZI Technology Company Limited, shed lights on, "Intelligent 3D Human Modelling - Making Shopping Well-fitting Clothes Easy and Fun".|