Jul, 13 2018 13:00 JST
Hong Kong Fashion Week Unveils the Next Wave in Technology
Industry experts gather to chart the future of fashion
HONG KONG, Jul, 13 2018 - (ACN Newswire) - Organised by HKTDC, the 25th Hong Kong Fashion Week for Spring/Summer (9-12 July) featured a seminar titled "The Next Wave in Fashion Technology" at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.
During the seminar, Dr Li Li, Associate Professor at the Institute of Textiles and Clothing, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, analysed the topic "Intelligent Manufacturing and its Medical Application of Wearable Electronic Textile Products" while Dr Andrew Zhu, CEO of TOZI Technology Company Limited, spoke about "Intelligent 3D Human Modelling - Making Shopping Well-fitting Clothes Easy and Fun".
Intelligent Manufacturing and its Medical Application of Wearable Electronic Textile Products
Dr Li Li co-ordinated the "A Novel Approach in Thermal Functional Textile with Conductive Materials" project which won a Silver Award at the 42nd International Exhibition of Invention of Geneva, Switzerland in 2014. She explained that she had crossed over from a background in knitwear design into technical design and textile studies. The challenge, said Dr Li, was to design and develop electronic textile fabrics that are as washable, comfortable, light and soft - and fashionable - as traditional fabrics. These fabrics - or conductive yarns - could then be applied across a range of uses and needs including heath care and medical uses, outdoor apparel, and even for keeping people warm on their way to work.
During the seminar Dr Li also explained the following developments:
- To date "heated garments" mainly means placing heating pads inside the fabric, but technology has improved the heating part of the fabric, making it more elastic, more comfortable, and more controllable in terms of both the temperature and where the heat is directed.
- When the conductive element becomes part of the actual fabric, rather than a part that is place inside the fabric, the possibilities for both design and use are expanded. These types of clothing can then be applied for everyday use, such as evening wear and underwear, and for specific purposes - such as for use by Winter Olympic athletes who need to stay warm.
- These new fabrics are not only soft, thin and light, they are washable. Combining conductive yarns with regular yarns also opens up choices in terms of both colours and styles.
- Temperature levels can either be controlled by a button placed somewhere on the garment or via Bluetooth from mobile phones
- This technology also lends itself towards the development of "medicine release" garments, where the user can control dosages throughout the day.
Intelligent 3D Human Modelling - Making Shopping Well-fitting Clothes Easy and Fun
Dr Andrew Zhu - a graduate (MPhil and Doctor's degree) from the Institute of Textile and Clothing at Hong Kong Polytechnic University - explained how TOZI had looked into the booming online shopping trend but had found that there was a return rate of more than 30 per cent when it came to clothes purchased. Hence the company turned its attention to "intelligent 3D human modeling technology". This technology requires two mobile photos to be taken - and then it can calculate accurate body measurements immediately, meaning custom-made clothes can now be purchased.
During the seminar Dr Zhu further explained how this technology:
- Tries to solve the main problem with online clothing purchases - which is fitting - by getting the measurements precise.
- Makes the process more convenient than using scanners, which are expensive to purchase and require the shopper to travel to where this service is offered.
- Is adaptable, accurate and simple - and can read the body contours under clothes.
- Can customise a 3D body model based on the contours under the clothes in the two 2D mobile photos supplied.
- Has developed apps to help clients maintain health and body shape, choose their own fabric and bespoke clothes, and that recommends clothes to suit individuals.
The Fashion Week for Spring/Summer concluded successfully yesterday. Around 11,000 buyers from 65 countries and regions attended the four-day fair (9-12 July).
Hong Kong Fashion Week for Spring/Summer: http://www.hktdc.com/hkfashionweekss/
Photo Download: https://bit.ly/2uk4uYh
The Hong Kong Trade Development Council (HKTDC) is the dedicated to creating opportunities for Hong Kong's businesses. With more than 40 offices globally, including 13 on the Chinese mainland, HKTDC promotes Hong Kong as a platform for doing business with China, Asia and the world. HKTDC organises international exhibitions, conferences and business missions to provide companies, particularly SMEs, with business opportunities on the mainland and in international markets, while providing business insights and information via trade publications, research reports and digital channels including the media room. Please visit www.hktdc.com/aboutus or follow us on Google+, [email protected], LinkedIn.
Copyright ©2018 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Asia Corporate News Network.
More Latest Release >>
Eisai and MSD Japan Commence Collaboration on Commercialization Activities for LENVIMA (Lenvatinib) in Japan
Oct 22, 2018 17:34 JST
Demonstration of Hitachi ICT System verifies Efficiencies in Energy and Medical IT Operations at New Delhi AIIMS Hospital
Oct 22, 2018 07:45 JST
DENSO's Second Coming: Shifting Strategy to Crafting Core Technologies for the Future of Mobility
Oct 19, 2018 18:34 JST
Toyota Yaris WRC Set for a Crucial Test on Both Gravel and Asphalt
Oct 19, 2018 18:17 JST
Fujitsu Develops Cooling Control Technology to Substantially Reduce Datacenter Energy Consumption
Oct 19, 2018 13:41 JST
Mazda Publishes Mazda Sustainability Report 2018 and Annual Report 2018
Oct 19, 2018 13:28 JST
Mazda Included in Dow Jones Sustainability Indices for Second Year Running
Oct 19, 2018 13:15 JST
Eisai: Discovery of Candidate Compound as Potential Treatment for Parkinson's Disease Using iPS Cells
Oct 19, 2018 12:18 JST
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Machine Tool Co., Ltd. to Release New Gear Grinding Machines, "ZE16C" and "ZE26C"
Oct 18, 2018 15:18 JST
Toyota to Host 2018 Classic Car Festival at Meiji Jingu Gaien Park
Oct 18, 2018 13:57 JST
Eisai to Present Latest Data on Alzheimer's Disease / Dementia Pipeline at 11th Clinical Trials on Alzheimer's Disease Conference
Oct 18, 2018 09:03 JST
TOYOTA GAZOO Racing Confirms WRC Driver Line-Up for 2019
Oct 17, 2018 17:14 JST
NEC Collaborates with Arm to Develop Secure IoT Solutions for Smart Cities Using AI
Oct 17, 2018 16:35 JST
Fujitsu, Personetics and Blue Lab in Joint Proof of Concept Trial for AI-Powered Personalized Banking Service
Oct 17, 2018 16:06 JST
Eisai and Purdue Pharma Announce Positive Topline Results of SUNRISE 2, the Second Phase 3 Pivotal Study of Lemborexant
Oct 17, 2018 09:51 JST
Eisai Signs Collaboration Agreement for Anti-Obesity Agent Lorcaserin in Latin America With Eurofarma
Oct 16, 2018 18:38 JST
Mitsubishi Motors Starts Local Engine Production and Expands R&D Center
Oct 16, 2018 18:32 JST
GAC Mitsubishi Motors to Start Production of All New EV in China
Oct 16, 2018 18:21 JST
Hitachi's Heavy Ion Beam Therapy System Starts Treatment at Osaka Heavy Ion Therapy Center
Oct 16, 2018 14:43 JST
MHI Proposing Energy Management Solutions for Development of Western Sydney Region of Australia
Oct 16, 2018 11:57 JST
|During the seminar, "The Next Wave in Fashion Technology", Dr Li Li, Associate Professor, Institute of Textiles and Clothing, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, addressed the topic of "Intelligent Manufacturing and its Medical Application of Wearable Electronic Textile Products".|
|Dr Andrew Zhu, CEO, TOZI Technology Company Limited, shed lights on, "Intelligent 3D Human Modelling - Making Shopping Well-fitting Clothes Easy and Fun".|