Jul, 13 2018 13:00 JST
Hong Kong Fashion Week Unveils the Next Wave in Technology
Industry experts gather to chart the future of fashion
HONG KONG, Jul, 13 2018 - (ACN Newswire) - Organised by HKTDC, the 25th Hong Kong Fashion Week for Spring/Summer (9-12 July) featured a seminar titled "The Next Wave in Fashion Technology" at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.
During the seminar, Dr Li Li, Associate Professor at the Institute of Textiles and Clothing, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, analysed the topic "Intelligent Manufacturing and its Medical Application of Wearable Electronic Textile Products" while Dr Andrew Zhu, CEO of TOZI Technology Company Limited, spoke about "Intelligent 3D Human Modelling - Making Shopping Well-fitting Clothes Easy and Fun".
Intelligent Manufacturing and its Medical Application of Wearable Electronic Textile Products
Dr Li Li co-ordinated the "A Novel Approach in Thermal Functional Textile with Conductive Materials" project which won a Silver Award at the 42nd International Exhibition of Invention of Geneva, Switzerland in 2014. She explained that she had crossed over from a background in knitwear design into technical design and textile studies. The challenge, said Dr Li, was to design and develop electronic textile fabrics that are as washable, comfortable, light and soft - and fashionable - as traditional fabrics. These fabrics - or conductive yarns - could then be applied across a range of uses and needs including heath care and medical uses, outdoor apparel, and even for keeping people warm on their way to work.
During the seminar Dr Li also explained the following developments:
- To date "heated garments" mainly means placing heating pads inside the fabric, but technology has improved the heating part of the fabric, making it more elastic, more comfortable, and more controllable in terms of both the temperature and where the heat is directed.
- When the conductive element becomes part of the actual fabric, rather than a part that is place inside the fabric, the possibilities for both design and use are expanded. These types of clothing can then be applied for everyday use, such as evening wear and underwear, and for specific purposes - such as for use by Winter Olympic athletes who need to stay warm.
- These new fabrics are not only soft, thin and light, they are washable. Combining conductive yarns with regular yarns also opens up choices in terms of both colours and styles.
- Temperature levels can either be controlled by a button placed somewhere on the garment or via Bluetooth from mobile phones
- This technology also lends itself towards the development of "medicine release" garments, where the user can control dosages throughout the day.
Intelligent 3D Human Modelling - Making Shopping Well-fitting Clothes Easy and Fun
Dr Andrew Zhu - a graduate (MPhil and Doctor's degree) from the Institute of Textile and Clothing at Hong Kong Polytechnic University - explained how TOZI had looked into the booming online shopping trend but had found that there was a return rate of more than 30 per cent when it came to clothes purchased. Hence the company turned its attention to "intelligent 3D human modeling technology". This technology requires two mobile photos to be taken - and then it can calculate accurate body measurements immediately, meaning custom-made clothes can now be purchased.
During the seminar Dr Zhu further explained how this technology:
- Tries to solve the main problem with online clothing purchases - which is fitting - by getting the measurements precise.
- Makes the process more convenient than using scanners, which are expensive to purchase and require the shopper to travel to where this service is offered.
- Is adaptable, accurate and simple - and can read the body contours under clothes.
- Can customise a 3D body model based on the contours under the clothes in the two 2D mobile photos supplied.
- Has developed apps to help clients maintain health and body shape, choose their own fabric and bespoke clothes, and that recommends clothes to suit individuals.
The Fashion Week for Spring/Summer concluded successfully yesterday. Around 11,000 buyers from 65 countries and regions attended the four-day fair (9-12 July).
Hong Kong Fashion Week for Spring/Summer: http://www.hktdc.com/hkfashionweekss/
Photo Download: https://bit.ly/2uk4uYh
The Hong Kong Trade Development Council (HKTDC) is the dedicated to creating opportunities for Hong Kong's businesses. With more than 40 offices globally, including 13 on the Chinese mainland, HKTDC promotes Hong Kong as a platform for doing business with China, Asia and the world. HKTDC organises international exhibitions, conferences and business missions to provide companies, particularly SMEs, with business opportunities on the mainland and in international markets, while providing business insights and information via trade publications, research reports and digital channels including the media room. Please visit www.hktdc.com/aboutus or follow us on Google+, [email protected], LinkedIn.
Copyright ©2018 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Asia Corporate News Network.
More Latest Release >>
Le Mans Winners TOYOTA GAZOO Racing Back in Action
Aug 14, 2018 09:08 JST
Toyota Yaris WRC Returns to Asphalt Roads in Germany
Aug 10, 2018 17:49 JST
Fujitsu Triples the Output Power of Gallium-Nitride Transistors
Aug 10, 2018 13:49 JST
Toyota Kicks-off Fifth Leg of '5 Continents Drive' to learn from African roads with goal of making 'Ever-better Cars'
Aug 09, 2018 19:36 JST
MHPS to Participate in Vietnam's Nghi Son-2 Thermal Power Project
Aug 09, 2018 13:09 JST
Showa Denko Announces 2Q 2018 Consolidated Financial Results
Aug 08, 2018 15:00 JST
Showa Denko Announces 1H 2018 Forecast and Results, Revises FY2018 Forecast
Aug 08, 2018 15:00 JST
MHPS Continues Global Turbine Leadership
Aug 08, 2018 14:28 JST
Mitsubishi Motors Increases the Production of XPANDER
Aug 08, 2018 12:50 JST
Mazda, Saudi Aramco and AIST Begin Joint Research Project
Aug 08, 2018 12:06 JST
Mitsubishi Corporation to Acquire Major Share of Food Manufacturer Gourmet Delica
Aug 07, 2018 15:47 JST
MHPS' Unit 2 of the "Jawa-2" Natural-gas-fired Power Plant Goes into Operation
Aug 07, 2018 11:46 JST
Toyota Commemorates Induction of Kiichiro Toyoda into Automotive Hall of Fame in U.S.
Aug 06, 2018 15:11 JST
BaseLayer launches 'Japan Branch Support Service' (JBSS) - using Blockchain to Promote Global Projects in Japan
Aug 06, 2018 15:00 JST
MHPS Beats Original Estimates for Upgrading the H-100 Gas Turbine by 24 Days
Aug 06, 2018 11:33 JST
NEC's Transfer of Lithium Ion Battery Business
Aug 03, 2018 17:18 JST
Mitsubishi Motors Opens New Training Center in Vietnam
Aug 03, 2018 15:59 JST
'SORACOM with KDDI', Partnering with KDDI Overseas to Advance IoT Business Worldwide
Aug 03, 2018 14:00 JST
MHI: Indian Diesel Engine Sales and Manufacturing Company MVDE Reaches Cumulative Production Total of 100,000 Units
Aug 02, 2018 17:10 JST
NEC: Northgate Public Services Acquires i2N Ltd to Expand its Justice Offering
Aug 02, 2018 11:04 JST
|During the seminar, "The Next Wave in Fashion Technology", Dr Li Li, Associate Professor, Institute of Textiles and Clothing, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, addressed the topic of "Intelligent Manufacturing and its Medical Application of Wearable Electronic Textile Products".|
|Dr Andrew Zhu, CEO, TOZI Technology Company Limited, shed lights on, "Intelligent 3D Human Modelling - Making Shopping Well-fitting Clothes Easy and Fun".|