Fujitsu Laboratories and Aichi Cancer Center in Japan Sign Comprehensive Joint Research Agreement to Drive Advances in Cancer Genomic Medicine with AI Technology
Utilizing AI technology to streamline information analysis and contribute to progress in an emergent, yet vital frontier of medical science
TOKYO, Nov 29, 2019 - (JCN Newswire) - Fujitsu Laboratories Ltd. and Aichi Cancer Center(1) have successfully concluded a comprehensive cooperative research agreement to leverage newly developed AI technology to improve the efficiency of cancer genome information analysis and contribute to the advances in the field of cancer genomic medicine(2).
The joint research, which builds on Fujitsu Laboratories' recent collaborative efforts with the Institute of Medical Science at the University of Tokyo and AI technologies cultivated by Fujitsu Laboratories(3), will draw on knowledge and issues identified through the research and clinical studies of cancer genome medical care at Aichi Cancer Center, as well as large-scale genomic data and medical records held by the Center.
Ultimately, the results of the joint research by Aichi Cancer Center and Fujitsu will lead to the development of various AI technologies that offer the potential to innovate cancer genome medical care at Aichi Cancer Center and affiliated medical institutions.
Background and Details of the Joint Research
The Aichi Cancer Center in Japan aims to establish a system that links the results of multigene panel testing for cancer(4) to future, advanced medical care for cancer patients.
In the emergent field of genomic cancer medicine, a board of molecular tumor specialists interprets the results of a patient's cancer gene profile to formulate appropriate treatment plans based on their unique circumstances.
This process remains very time consuming, however, proving a challenge for the Aichi Cancer Center and other institutions engaged in this field as the number of genetic tests increases, the burden on doctors, who must interpret results on an individual basis, continues to mount. To address this challenge, Fujitsu Laboratories and Aichi Cancer Center intend to create a new AI technology to improve the viability of cancer genomic medicine, drawing on technology initially developed by Fujitsu Laboratories in a joint research project with the Institute of Medical Science at the University of Tokyo.
The new technology will be developed using aggregated data for genomic and clinical profiles mainly for solid cancers held in trust by the Aichi Cancer Center, with the main purpose of improving the efficiency of interpreting the results of comprehensive genomic analyses. The project will focus on improving functions that can clarify the relationship between genomic profiles in cancers and their responsiveness to anti-cancer reagents for cancer therapies. The goal of the initiative is to ultimately expand the scope of cancers that can be targeted by genomic medicine and to deliver treatments optimized for each patient.
Roles in the Joint Research Collaboration
- Development of basic technological elements necessary for database construction and integration of clinical information and genomic profiles for each disease area using AI technology.
- Development of new technologies to support diagnosis and the selection of therapeutic reagents in cancer genomic medicine and knowledge discovery for establishing novel algorithms for therapies.
Aichi Cancer Center
- Provision of patient-specific cancer genomic profiles and medical records with consideration for the protection of personal information.
- Offering information on how to interpret, review, and select treatments for various types of cancer, including solid tumors.
- Verification of the newly developed AI technology in a clinical setting.
Fujitsu Laboratories and the Aichi Cancer Center will integrate the results of the joint research into a series of functions that supports cancer genomic medicine together with AI technology developed to date, and apply these to hospitals in the Tokai region. In addition, cancer genome data for various cases collected from patients at hospitals will be registered in a common reference database, which will be continuously expanded to develop integrated functions that enable more comprehensive and reliable selection of anti-cancer drugs. This joint research initiative will allow the two institutions to make a significant contribution to the advancement of cancer genomic medicine in Japan.
(1) Aichi Cancer Center Designated by the Minister of Health, Labour and Welfare as a hub hospital for cancer genome medical care.
(2) Cancer Genomic Medicine A form of treatment for cancer-based on genomic alterations/profiles, which offers medical professionals more effective treatment plans using of therapeutic drugs selected based on genomic variants/profiles to deliver "precision medicine," tailored to individual patients
(3) The joint research, which builds on Fujitsu's recent collaborative efforts with the Institute of Medical Science at the University of Tokyo and AI technologies cultivated by Fujitsu Laboratories In a joint research project with the Institute of Medical Science at the University of Tokyo, Fujitsu Laboratories Ltd. has developed AI technology that makes the examination of treatment policies for acute myeloid leukemia more efficient and precise. The project utilizes a database developed by Fujitsu Limited in cooperation with the Japan Agency for Medical Research and Development as part of the "Program for an Integrated Database of Clinical and Genomic Information." Details in the following press release: https://www.fujitsu.com/global/about/resources/news/press-releases/2019/1106-01.html
(4) Multigene Panel Testing for Cancer Multigene panel testing is transforming clinical management of patients with cancer. The Japanese government approved reimbursement of two cancer genome profiling systems under universal health coverage in June 2019. These testing systems promise to play an important role in the expansion of the emergent field of cancer genomic medicine.
Fujitsu is the leading Japanese information and communication technology (ICT) company, offering a full range of technology products, solutions, and services. Approximately 132,000 Fujitsu people support customers in more than 100 countries. We use our experience and the power of ICT to shape the future of society with our customers. Fujitsu Limited (Code: 6702) reported consolidated revenues of 4.0 trillion yen (US $36 billion) for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2019. For more information, please see www.fujitsu.com.
About Fujitsu Laboratories
Founded in 1968 as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Fujitsu Limited, Fujitsu Laboratories Ltd. is one of the premier research centers in the world. With a global network of laboratories in Japan, China, the United States and Europe, the organization conducts a wide range of basic and applied research in the areas of Next-generation Services, Computer Servers, Networks, Electronic Devices and Advanced Materials. For more information, please see: http://www.fujitsu.com/jp/group/labs/en/.
About Aichi Cancer Center
Aichi Caner Center is one of the largest and oldest comprehensive cancer centers in Japan. For more than 50 years, the Aichi Cancer Center has been a leader in cancer research and treatment, offering state-of-the art care available and advancing the knowledge for future improvement. Our dedicated clinical and research staff, who are working passionately and collaboratively, are relentlessly committed to providing hope to currently uncurable patients and making cancer a disease of the past. For more information, please see: https://www.pref.aichi.jp/cancer-center/english/cc/index.html.
Public and Investor Relations
Aichi Cancer Center
Division of Management Strategy, Administration Office
E-mail: [email protected]
About Fujitsu Ltd
Fujitsu is the leading Japanese information and communication technology (ICT) company offering a full range of technology products, solutions and services. Approximately 130,000 Fujitsu people support customers in more than 100 countries. We use our experience and the power of ICT to shape the future of society with our customers. Fujitsu Limited (TSE:6702) reported consolidated revenues of 3.9 trillion yen (US$35 billion) for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2020. For more information, please see www.fujitsu.com.
Source: Fujitsu Ltd
Sectors: BioTech, AI
Copyright ©2020 JCN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Japan Corporate News Network.
More Latest Release >>
NEC and JAMSTEC Develop AI-based System for Measuring Microplastics in the Ocean
Jul 03, 2020 11:30 JST
Fujitsu Revamps Corporate Philosophy 'FUJITSU Way' to Achieve Our Purpose
Jul 01, 2020 14:22 JST
Remap-Cap to Partner With Eisai on Innovative Trial to Combat COVID
Jul 01, 2020 14:02 JST
Toyota Launches New Acceleration Suppression System
Jul 01, 2020 13:48 JST
Tohoku University and NEC Collaborate to Accelerate the Development of Composite Materials for Aircraft
Jul 01, 2020 13:41 JST
MHIEC Receives Order to Refurbish Core Equipment of the Kushiro Wide-Area Federation WtE Plant in Kushiro, Hokkaido
Jun 30, 2020 16:58 JST
Toyota Launches Stamping-Type Plating Machine that Significantly Reduces Environmental Impact and Transforms Plating Process
Jun 30, 2020 13:51 JST
NTT Anode Energy and Mitsubishi Corporation Agree to Study Cooperation in the Energy Sector Business
Jun 30, 2020 12:40 JST
Fujitsu and NetApp Enhance Strategic Partnership for Data Management Infrastructure
Jun 30, 2020 10:17 JST
Honda Releases Production, Sales and Export Results in May 2020
Jun 29, 2020 17:35 JST
Mazda Production and Sales Results for May 2020
Jun 29, 2020 16:05 JST
Toyota Releases Sales, Production, and Export Results for May 2020
Jun 29, 2020 14:22 JST
SPARX Group Establishes Space Frontier Fund
Jun 29, 2020 14:08 JST
MHI Machine Tool to Launch Ultra-thin Precision Position Detectors
Jun 29, 2020 13:37 JST
NEC Platforms provides highly functional bioplastic, "NeCycle," helping to solve environmental issues such as marine plastic waste
Jun 29, 2020 12:34 JST
Fujitsu Global Survey Demonstrates How Digital Transformation Provides Value to Society
Jun 29, 2020 10:06 JST
Hitachi and Microsoft Form a Strategic Alliance to Advance Next-generation Digital Solutions for Manufacturing and Logistics across Southeast Asia, North America and Japan
Jun 26, 2020 14:00 JST
Showa Denko Group Recycles 4.43 Million Aluminum Cans in FY2019
Jun 26, 2020 14:00 JST
MHI Group to Participate in Establishment of The Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller Center for Zero Carbon Shipping
Jun 25, 2020 16:25 JST
NEC: Alliance for Joint Research and Development and Global Rollout of ICT Products Utilizing Innovative Optical and Wireless Technologies
Jun 25, 2020 15:06 JST