CONNECT WITH US:
Jun 26, 2020 16:00 JST
Moms on Watch
Mounting Allegations at Prolacta Biosciences
Watchdog group Moms on Watch demands independent investigation after revelations that Prolacta has been sued for everything from job injuries to unauthorized use of donor DNA
LOS ANGELES, CA., Jun 26, 2020 - (ACN Newswire) - Moms on Watch, a watchdog group dedicated to making mother's milk safe, affordable, and accessible is urging the board of Prolacta Biosciences Inc. to immediately engage an independent investigator to assess the mounting number of disturbing claims made about Prolacta's management and its business practices.
This demand comes after the most recent allegation was brought to light in the form of a lawsuit by former employees alleging they suffered preventable injuries after being forced to carry large bags in cold temperatures without sufficient protective equipment.
This latest lawsuit joins a slew of other controversies at Prolacta which has led many Moms on Watch members to highly doubt if large venture backed pharmaceutical companies should be in the business of selling mother's milk, which the group contends should be affordable and accessible.
Some of the other allegations include:
1. A lawsuit (LA Superior Court Docket 19STCV37738) filed in October of 2019 by a former Director of Human Resources, Jacqueline Roeder, points to a systemic culture of racist, sexist and homophobic comments. These include allegations that VP of Operations made fun of an employee for being a lesbian and, together with CEO Scott Elster, declined to hire a candidate due to his sexual orientation. The lawsuit also cites pay disparities between male and female employees and a culture of inappropriate remarks by top executives.
2. The lawsuit from that same former HR Director also alleges an even more disturbing and potentially fraudulent practice of using milk donors' DNA for research without their authorization. These allegations, if true, potentially amount to fraud.
3. Prolacta is currently in late stage litigation with a small Oregon based milk bank called Ni-Q LLC based on allegations that Prolacta fraudulently obtained bogus patents (US District Court of Oregon, Case No. 3:17-cv-934-SI).
4. Some of the reviews on job site Glassdoor again point to disturbing comments made by executives and a toxic good ol boy network where friends of Scott Elster are promoted over more qualified candidates. Accounts of inappropriate comments aren't even limited to Glassdoor. One former employee recalls Scott Elster telling her that her "pregnant belly was disgusting" and that she shouldn't have another baby.
5. Prolacta has sued Medolac, a Public Benefit corporation, in a case legal observers have called frivolous and predatory. This case appears like an attempt for Prolacta to silence competition and bury a smaller competitor in legal fees.
Moms on Watch had the following statement on the matter:
"Mother's Milk is essential for the proper development of preterm infants which means it is critical that companies providing mother's milk act as good citizens to make sure it reaches everyone who needs it, not just those who can afford it. Scott Elster and Mark Hannon are not taking this critical mission seriously when there are allegations of mistreatment of workers and crude comments by executives. Moreover, it is critical to acknowledge the systemic issues including allegations of misusing donors' DNA - a serious breach of trust, and discriminating against women at a company providing MOTHERS milk. Prolacta seems to embody everything people find most troubling about Big Pharma."
Moms on Watch called on Prolacta board members and top investors to immediately order an independent investigation and clean house if needed.
"David Brailer, Dan Janney, Braden Kelly, Martin Sutter, Andy Funk, Frank Foster and Tiffany Foster, Bill Draper and the rest of the board are ultimately responsible for the company and its actions. It is not acceptable for board members to claim this isn't their job - these mounting allegations call for decisive action. No more finger pointing, no more dodging responsibility. Bring in an independent investigation now or you will be seen like the rubber stamp boards that ok-ed the illicit conduct of other dubious names in this industry like Elizabeth Holmes and Martin Shkreli."
Phone: 310 862-2377
This news release was issued through EmailWire - the global newswire with press release distribution services:
Source: Moms on Watch
Sectors: Retail/eCommerce, HealthCare, Legal & Compliance
Copyright ©2020 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Asia Corporate News Network.
NEC Solution Innovators Establishes "FonesLife," a healthcare business company that contributes to extending healthy life expectancy
Jul 09, 2020 14:34 JST
Biogen Completes Submission of Biologics License Application to FDA for Aducanumab as a Treatment for Alzheimer's Disease
Jul 09, 2020 12:20 JST
Eisai and Merck Receive Complete Response Letter for LENVIMA (lenvatinib) plus KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Combination as First-Line Treatment for Unresectable Hepatocellular Carcinoma
Jul 09, 2020 12:11 JST
"Corolla Meets SUV"--Toyota Unveils Corolla Cross in Thailand, The New Compact SUV with Strength and Functionality to the Corolla Series
Jul 09, 2020 10:59 JST
Eisai: New Drug Application for In-House Developed New Anti-insomnia Drug Dayvigo Accepted in Hong Kong
Jul 08, 2020 14:33 JST
Eisai Submits Marketing Authorization Application in Japan for Anticancer Agent Tazemetostat for EZH2 Gene Mutation-Positive Follicular Lymphoma
Jul 08, 2020 14:16 JST
HSPP Announces Corporate Name Change to Honda India Power Products Limited
Jul 07, 2020 14:37 JST
Lexus Premieres New LS
Jul 07, 2020 13:31 JST
HOYA and Hitachi Announce Long Term Technical Collaboration and Supply Agreement Related to Endoscopic Ultrasound Systems
Jul 06, 2020 17:39 JST
Announcement of Absorption-type Merger (Simplified Merger and Short-form Merger) of DENSO IT Solutions Inc.
Jul 06, 2020 16:34 JST
JGA North is Ready for Service
Jul 06, 2020 15:30 JST
Aichi Cancer Center and NEC Launch Joint Research on Fundamental Study Aimed at Advanced Cancer Immunotherapy
Jul 06, 2020 15:11 JST
Toyota Reproduces and Sells Spare Parts for 2000GT
Jul 06, 2020 13:37 JST
Fujitsu Embarks Towards 'New Normal', Redefining Working Styles for its Japan Offices
Jul 06, 2020 11:47 JST
Eisai to Launch In-House Developed New Anti-insomnia Drug Dayvigo (Lemborexant) with Indication for Insomnia in Japan
Jul 06, 2020 09:33 JST
Eisai: New Fine Granule Formulation of Anti-epileptic Drug Fycompa Launched in Japan
Jul 06, 2020 09:05 JST
NEC and JAMSTEC Develop AI-based System for Measuring Microplastics in the Ocean
Jul 03, 2020 11:30 JST
Fujitsu Revamps Corporate Philosophy 'FUJITSU Way' to Achieve Our Purpose
Jul 01, 2020 14:22 JST
Remap-Cap to Partner With Eisai on Innovative Trial to Combat COVID
Jul 01, 2020 14:02 JST
Toyota Launches New Acceleration Suppression System
Jul 01, 2020 13:48 JST
More Latest Release >>