Oct 15, 2020 11:00 JST
Fujitsu, JCB, and Mizuho Bank to Test Digital Identity Interoperability
- Fujitsu, JCB and Mizuho Bank to jointly test a system that enables secure transactions involving sensitive user ID information between companies and industries
- The system is based on Fujitsu's self-sovereign and decentralized digital identity exchange technology
- The initial trial participants will be Fujitsu Group employees
TOKYO, Oct 15, 2020 - (ACN Newswire) - Fujitsu Limited, JCB Co., Ltd. and Mizuho Bank, Limited. today announced a joint demonstration trial aimed at further advancing a digital society in which digitally managed information attributable to individuals (i.e. ID information) can be safely and securely transacted online, distributed and linked between different industries.
|Image of the demonstration system|
In the demonstration, JCB and Mizuho Bank will verify mechanisms to securely exchange and link participant ID information, such as names, addresses, and employers, on a cloud platform built by Fujitsu. Approximately 100 Fujitsu Group employees in Japan will participate in the program, which is scheduled to last for approximately four months. Fujitsu has built a self-sovereign and decentralized digital identity exchange technology(1), which utilizes a blockchain solution from Fujitsu Laboratories.
Through this demonstration trial, Fujitsu, JCB, and Mizuho Bank will confirm the accuracy of ID information held by multiple business operators and verify the mechanism by which customers can safely and securely control the distribution of ID information. Going forward, JCB, Mizuho Bank, and Fujitsu will consider innovative service models best suited to ID information management, regardless of the industry or sector.
In recent years, much thought has been given to how individual data - which is acquired and managed by one service provider - can be utilized and distributed among other service providers to enable more convenient services. However, the importance of identity verification has been demonstrated many times over, as misappropriation of personal data, privacy risks, and damage caused by the unauthorized use of such data has become widespread. There is also a growing demand for business operators to be able to definitively prove the reliability of their business partners.
With the continued proliferation of digitization and circulation of personal ID information, it is essential to manage data with greater security and reliability, while also increasing the convenience of its shared usage.
JCB and Fujitsu have been conducting a joint research project on digital identity since 2019. From the viewpoint of improving the management and reliability of information held by multiple parties, we are conducting a demonstration trial on an interoperability model of identity information together with Mizuho Bank.
[Outline of the demonstration trial]
1. Details of implementation
(1) Verification of self-sovereign and decentralized digital identity exchange technology via the demonstration system
- JCB and Mizuho Bank will automatically issue the participants' ID information as electronic certificates.
- Participants will freely combine or encrypt the electronic certificates they receive from JCB and Mizuho Bank, in order to link their own identities online in a secure and reliable method to other businesses (JCB or Mizuho Bank).
The usefulness of ID information distribution technology will be verified by experiencing the mechanism described above.
(2) Verification of platform requirements and operational practices for self-sovereign and decentralized digital identity
The demonstration system will be used to verify the requirements for building the system and show how to operate it to implement the identity platform.
2. When: Four months from October 2020 to January 2021 (Scheduled)
3. Role of the three companies
(1) JCB and Mizuho Bank
Through the demonstration system, information on participants held by JCB and Mizuho Bank will be disclosed to the participants from each company. At the same time, the system will receive personal information disclosed by participants through the system. The companies will also examine the service requirements, operational practices, and new service models for self-sovereign and decentralized digital identities.
(2) Fujitsu Group
Developing and providing the demonstration system and applications used by participants and operating the demonstration and the system.
Fujitsu will also design and evaluate the functions of the system for a self-sovereign and decentralized digital identity exchange platform.
JCB, Mizuho Bank, and Fujitsu are considering a new service model that will make utilization of customer ID information more convenient for both business operators and customers. This new service model will enable each company to mutually cooperate, authenticate and update customer ID information held by each company under customer sovereignty. The aim is to build a safe, secure and customer-centric digital ecosystem in order to contribute to the realization of a society that uses data with greater convenience.
(1) Identity exchange: A proprietary, decentralized identity technology developed by Fujitsu Laboratories that enables the safe and voluntary distribution of identity information provided by businesses and other third parties. Used for the distribution of identity information to a service provider and a user related to online transactions and capable of judging the authenticity of personal information of the transaction partner. For details, please refer to the Fujitsu Laboratories Press Release, "Fujitsu Develops Digital Identity Technology to Evaluate Trustworthiness in Online Transactions" dated July 4, 2019: https://bit.ly/2FdhSpJ
Kumiko Kida, Ayaka Nakajima
Email: [email protected]
Sectors: Cards & Payments, Banking & Insurance
Copyright ©2021 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Asia Corporate News Network.
More Latest Release >>
SDK to increase capacity of aluminum substrate for hard disks
Jan 15, 2021 10:00 JST
Toyota Gazoo Racing Introduces GR010 Hybrid Hypercar
Jan 15, 2021 08:37 JST
New-Look Toyota Yaris Wrc Ready to Fight for More Titles in 2021
Jan 15, 2021 08:16 JST
NEC Concludes Contract to Supply the Palau Cable 2 (PC2) Optical Submarine Cable
Jan 14, 2021 14:01 JST
Fujitsu Leverages Deep Learning to Achieve World's Most Accurate Recognition of Complex Actions and Behaviors Based on Skeleton Data
Jan 13, 2021 10:55 JST
Eisai to Present Abstracts on Lenvatinib at 2021 Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium
Jan 12, 2021 12:37 JST
Thailand's First Demonstration Project of Optimized Performance Enabling Network for Volt/Var(Q) (OPENVQ) in Power Transmission Networks
Jan 12, 2021 12:21 JST
NEC Releases 'WISE VISION Endoscopy' in Europe and Japan
Jan 12, 2021 10:56 JST
Norwegian Block Exchange (NBX) Raises Capital for Growth
Jan 12, 2021 07:30 JST
MHI Thermal Systems Receives 2020 "Agency for Natural Resources and Energy Commissioner's Award" for MSV2 Series of High-efficiency, Air-cooled Heat Pump Chillers
Jan 07, 2021 15:20 JST
Olympus and Hitachi Announce Long-Term Business Alliance regarding Endoscopic Ultrasound Systems
Jan 06, 2021 18:48 JST
Hitachi Automotive Systems, Keihin, Showa, and Nissin Kogyo Conclude Management Integration and Commence Operations as Hitachi Astemo
Jan 06, 2021 18:17 JST
NEC's Northgate Public Services Acquires Charter Systems Ltd to Improve Information Sharing for Undercover Policing
Jan 05, 2021 10:19 JST
New Year Message from Kohei Morikawa, Showa Denko President and CEO
Jan 04, 2021 14:00 JST
Mazda Production and Sales Results for November 2020
Dec 28, 2020 10:37 JST
Hitachi Capital, Hitachi Asia, and SANTEC Begin Collaboration to Drive Solar Power Generation Business in Thailand
Dec 28, 2020 09:19 JST
Toyota Launches "C+pod" Ultra-Compact Battery Electric Vehicle in Japan
Dec 25, 2020 15:14 JST
Showa Denko Revises Dividend Payment Forecast
Dec 25, 2020 14:00 JST
Toyota's Global Sales and Production Up Year-on-Year in November for Third Consecutive Month
Dec 25, 2020 13:43 JST
Vietnam Pilot Project Utilizing TradeWaltz Platform Adopted Under Government's Supply-Chain Diversification Scheme
Dec 24, 2020 17:01 JST