Toyota's New Land Cruiser Makes World Premiere
Toyota City, Japan, Jun 10, 2021 - (JCN Newswire) - Toyota unveiled the new Land Cruiser to the world (in a Middle East-centered online reveal).
|New Land Cruiser|
1. Since its launch in 1951, the Land Cruiser has continued to be selected by customers as a safe and secure vehicle symbolizing Toyota.
- A cumulative total of approximately 10.4 million units and more than 300,000 units a year have been sold in 170 countries and regions all over the world.
- To continue to live up to its reputation among customers as a vehicle that allows people to go anywhere & everywhere and come back alive and safe, the Land Cruiser's unrivaled existence has continued to evolve, improving its reliability, durability, and off-road performance.
2. The flagship station wagon model of the Land Cruiser has been completely redesigned.
- In this 70th anniversary year of the Land Cruiser, Toyota has completely redesigned its character by merging technologies accumulated over many years with the latest technologies, and is planning to launch it all over the world starting in the summer of 2021.
1. The car that symbolizes Toyota's history of delivering safety and security to people for over 70 years
The Land Cruiser was launched in August 1951 as the four-wheel-drive Toyota BJ equipped with a powerful engine, which demonstrated a high level of off-road performance in adverse environments, for example, becoming the first vehicle to climb up to the sixth checkpoint of Mount Fuji. Due in part to its performance record, it began to be adopted as a police patrol car all over Japan.
Thus began the tradition of, "Striving to deliver safety and security to all customers as well as others involved with this vehicle." This tradition would continue for 70 years and can be considered the foundation of a mobility company.
Since then, a cumulative total of approximately 10.4 million units and more than 300,000 units* a year have been enjoyed by customers in 170 countries and regions all over the world. The essence that the Land Cruiser has been maintaining for the sake of customers consists of reliability, durability, and off-road performance.
- As an indispensable tool that supports people's livelihood in places that can only be travelled to and from using the Land Cruiser
- As a vehicle that supports lives in humanitarian aid and disaster relief efforts
- As a vehicle that supports more enriched lives through experiences only the Land Cruiser can provide
With these applications in mind and to continue responding to customers' expectations of the Land Cruiser as "a vehicle that promises to take you anywhere & everywhere and come back alive and safe," Toyota has been advancing and evolving the Land Cruiser by setting ever-tighter development and evaluation standards as needed, based on the actual usage situations of customers all over the world.
*As of the end of 2020. Both the cumulative and annual numbers include the Lexus LX and GX.
2. Evolving as a car while incorporating the latest technologies as the flagship model of the Land Cruiser series
The redesigned new Land Cruiser (300 Series), the successor to the 200 Series that debuted in 2007, is a station wagon model. As the flagship model of the Land Cruiser series, it has in every generation led the way in vehicle evolution while incorporating the latest technologies.
The development objectives for the new Land Cruiser were as follows:
- Inheriting and evolving the Land Cruiser's essence of "reliability, durability, and off-road performance"
- Creating a riding experience that enables the driver to drive with ease on any type of road in the world without tiring easily
With these objectives in mind, Toyota adopted the new GA-F platform based on TNGA while keeping the frame structure, which is the foundation that protects the Land Cruiser's essence. Furthermore, Toyota redesigned the Land Cruiser's character by merging technologies accumulated over many years with the latest technologies, to achieve such improvements as vehicle weight reduction, lowering the center of gravity, the adoption of a new powertrain, and new interior and exterior designs.
Redesign of the Land Cruiser's features with adoption of the new GA-F platform
The frame itself was redesigned to reduce weight and increase rigidity. Various steps were taken, such as the reduction of the total weight of the vehicle (by 200 kg) including the frame and the body, lowered center of gravity, weight distribution, and improved suspension structure. Based on these improvements in features, as well as through improvements obtained through actual driving tests by evaluation members, including in-house drivers with advanced or master-level technical skills and drivers who had participated in the Dakar Rally, Toyota aimed to create a car that is easy to drive and does not easily tire the driver both on-road and off-road.
To further improve the traditional off-road performance, the following developments and new technologies have been adopted:
- Improvement in the basic suspension performance (wheel articulation: a number indicating the ability of a tire to stay on the ground)
- Improved road-holding performance through the adoption of the E-KDSS (Electronic Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System) (first in the world)
- Adoption of the Multi-Terrain Monitor, which instantly displays obstacles as viewed from the driver's viewpoint
- Adoption of the Multi Terrain Select, which automatically judges the road surface and selects the best driving mode
Simultaneous achievement of class-leading driving performance, pleasant driving experience, and environmental performance based on a new powertrain
A newly developed V6 twin-turbo engine (3.5-liter gasoline and 3.3-liter diesel) is used to achieve class-leading driving performance and drivability that surpass those of a conventional V8 engine. In terms of environmental performance, Toyota is aiming to globally reduce CO2 emissions by approximately 10%* a year compared with the previous model by combining the newly developed Direct Shift-10AT (10-speed automatic transmission) with lighter body weight.
*Based on the in-house weighted average calculation; CO2 emission comparison of the global total amounts between the 200 and 300 series in use
Interior and exterior design in pursuit of the ultimate in functional beauty and a package that places priority on off-road performance
On the exterior, the new Land Cruiser has pursued functional beauty in line with the Land Cruiser's heritage, such as light positions and bumper shape that are unlikely to be damaged during off-road driving. On the interior, a horizontal instrument panel is provided that easily captures the vehicle's position even during off-road driving. Additionally, Toyota pursued operational comfort by positioning switches that can be intuitively operated according to function, and using shape and color designs that improve operability.
As for the package, placing priority on off-road performance, the vehicle size including the total length, total width, and wheelbase, as well as both the departure and approach angles have been kept the same as the previous model (excluding some grades).
Class-leading advanced safety performance befitting the flagship model of the Land Cruiser series
The new Land Cruiser has adopted the latest Toyota Safety Sense active safety package with additional advanced functions. Two functions have been added to the pre-collision system that helps avoid a collision or reduce damage by detecting pedestrians (daytime and nighttime) and cyclists (daytime). The first is a function that detects oncoming vehicles at intersections and oncoming pedestrians crossing the street when the vehicle is turning in either direction. The second is an emergency steering and crash avoidance function, which assists with steering and lane keeping and is triggered when the driver performs a steering maneuver to avoid collision. Furthermore, the new Land Cruiser has adopted the new Parking Support Brake, which helps prevent accidents by recognizing obstacles in front and back of the vehicle in a parking lot, approaching vehicles when the vehicle is backing, and pedestrians.
Having achieved all these evolutions, Toyota plans to launch the new Land Cruiser all over the world starting this summer.
For more information, visit https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/35323595.html.
Source: Toyota Motor Corporation
Copyright ©2021 JCN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Japan Corporate News Network.
Latest Press Release
More Latest Release >>
Mitsubishi Corporation Participates in Laos Wind Farm Project
Jun 16, 2021 18:00 JST
Star Alliance, NEC and Sita Sign Teaming Agreement, Paving the Way to Expand Touchless Journeys Across Member Airlines
Jun 16, 2021 14:15 JST
Vodafone names NEC as a key partner for 5G massive MIMO radio units supporting commercial deployment of Open RAN in the UK
Jun 15, 2021 15:22 JST
Fujitsu to Initiate On-Site Vaccinations for Employees in Japan
Jun 15, 2021 11:59 JST
Eisai to Divest Rights for Zonegran in Europe and Other Regions to Advanz Pharma
Jun 15, 2021 09:00 JST
JAXA and Honda to Begin a Feasibility Study on a Circulative Renewable Energy System
Jun 14, 2021 19:38 JST
One-Two in Race 100 for TOYOTA GAZOO Racing
Jun 14, 2021 12:20 JST
JCB Accelerates Business Expansion in ASEAN Region with Opening of New Department in Singapore
Jun 14, 2021 12:00 JST
All-New Lexus NX Premieres, Heraldling the Start of the Lexus Next Chapter
Jun 14, 2021 05:25 JST
Honda Announces the Establishment of Ashirase, Inc., a Startup Originated from IGNITION, a Honda New Business Creation Program
Jun 11, 2021 18:09 JST
Honda Begins Company-wide Expansion of its New Business Creation Program, "IGNITION," to Help Realize Ideas and Dreams of Honda Associates
Jun 11, 2021 17:10 JST
NEC upgrades its greenhouse gas reduction target to SBT1.5degC and joins RE100, a global renewable electricity initiative
Jun 11, 2021 11:02 JST
Northgate Public Services to improve patient experience and outcomes with acquisition of Vantage Health
Jun 11, 2021 10:24 JST
Drax and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Sign Pioneering Deal Towards Delivery of the World's Largest Negative Emissions Project
Jun 10, 2021 17:12 JST
Showa Denko Contracts with Seagate to Jointly Develop HAMR Technology-based HD Media
Jun 10, 2021 15:00 JST
Honda and Komatsu Announce the Start of Joint Development of Micro Excavators Powered by Swappable Batteries
Jun 10, 2021 14:48 JST
Honda Launches All-New Civic Hatchback Teaser Page on its Company Website
Jun 10, 2021 12:33 JST
Toyota's New Land Cruiser Makes World Premiere
Jun 10, 2021 09:29 JST
The 10th edition of Big CIO Show virtually convened India's top CIOs
Jun 09, 2021 15:22 JST
Eisai Receives Special Prize at Platinum Career Award 2021
Jun 09, 2021 13:44 JST