CONNECT WITH US:
Apr 03, 2023 09:38 JST
DENSO Develops Its First Inverter Using SiC Power Semiconductors
Significantly reduce power loss in electric vehicles with its high efficiency
KARIYA, JAPAN, Apr 03, 2023 - (JCN Newswire) - DENSO CORPORATION announced that it has developed its first-ever inverter with silicon carbide (SiC) semiconductors. This inverter, which is incorporated in the eAxle, an electric driving module developed by BluE Nexus Corporation, will be used in the new RZ, Lexus' first dedicated battery electric vehicle (BEV) model has been released on March 30, 2023.
SiC power semiconductors consist of silicon and carbon that significantly reduce power loss compared with silicon (Si) power semiconductors. The verification of cruising test in a certain condition, which test was performed by BEV consisted of SiC semiconductor inverters, demonstrated inverters with SiC power semiconductor reduce power loss less than half of ones with Si semiconductor. As a result, the energy efficiency of BEVs is improved and cruising range is extended.
Key elements of developing the new inverter:
- SiC power semiconductors with DENSO's unique trench-type metal-oxide-semiconductor (MOS) structure(1) improve the output per chip due to reducing the power loss caused by heat generated. The unique structure achieved high voltage and low on-resistance(2) operation.
Key elements of manufacturing the new inverter
- Based on the high-quality technology jointly developed by DENSO and Toyota Central R&D Labs., Inc., we utilize SiC epitaxial wafers(3) that incorporate the results of work commissioned by New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO). As a result, we have halved the number of crystal defects that prevent the device from operating normally due to the disorder of the atomic arrangement of the crystal.
- By reducing crystal defects, the quality of SiC power semiconductor devices used in vehicles and their stable production are ensured.
DENSO calls its SiC technology "REVOSIC," and uses it to comprehensively develop technologies for products ranging from wafers to semiconductor devices and modules such as power cards.
DENSO will contribute to the realization of a carbon-neutral society through development aimed at more efficient energy management for vehicles, while also utilizing the grant from Green Innovation Fund (GI Fund)(4), which was adopted in 2022.
(1) DENSO's unique trench-type MOS structure: Semiconductor devices with a trench gate using DENSO's patented electric field relaxation technology.
(2) On-resistance: A measure of the ease of current flow; the lower the value, the lower the power loss.
(3) SiC epitaxial wafer: A layer of epitaxial SiC single crystal deposited onto a single crystal SiC wafer.
(4) Green Innovation Fund (GI Fund): GI Fund was created by Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and assigned to NEDO with the aim of achieving carbon neutrality by 2050. DENSO has been selected to received subsidies for a project to develop manufacturing technology for next-generation power semiconductor devices (for electric vehicles).
For more details of REVOSIC, please visit: www.denso.com/global/en/news/newsroom/2020/20201210-g01/
Sectors: Electronics, Automotive
Copyright ©2023 JCN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Japan Corporate News Network.
Related Press Release
DENSO Launches "Everycool," a Commercial Vehicle Cooling System for Trucks that Improves Cooling Efficiency and Reduces Environmental Impact
September 11 2023 18:19 JST
DENSO Announces Organization and Personnel Changes
September 01 2023 08:53 JST
DENSO to Exhibit at IAA Mobility 2023 in Munich
August 24 2023 17:28 JST
DENSO Sets Scope 3 as a New Target to Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Acquires SBT Certification
August 10 2023 10:21 JST
DENSO to Establish a New Office in Tokyo to Offer New Value in the Greater Tokyo Area
August 10 2023 09:00 JST
DENSO Acquires Full Stake in Certhon Group, a Greenhouse Provider Based in the Netherlands
August 01 2023 17:15 JST
DENSO Announces First Quarter Financial Results
July 28 2023 14:51 JST
DENSO Begins Business Transfer Negotiations for Selected Product Operations
July 10 2023 16:03 JST
TD Mobile, in which DENSO and Toyota Tsusho have invested, announcing transfer of cell phone sales and agency business to newly established subsidiary of ranet
July 10 2023 15:54 JST
DENSO to Begin SOEC Demonstration at Hirose Plant to Produce and Use Green Hydrogen for Manufacturing
June 27 2023 16:14 JST
More Press release >>
Latest Press Release
Value Research Center (VRC) at SSUNGA78: 'How Purpose, Value, and Impact will Drive a Sustainable Post- SDG Future'
Sep 22, 2023 21:00 JST
TOYOTA GAZOO Racing returns to South American roads
Sep 22, 2023 18:26 JST
Fujitsu marks next stage of "Work Life Shift" with new corporate hubs in Tokyo area to boost productivity, data-driven management
Sep 22, 2023 16:20 JST
Fujitsu and Hokuhoku Financial Group launch trials for generative AI to streamline operations for Hokuriku Bank and Hokkaido Bank
Sep 22, 2023 12:32 JST
Innovative MedTech Welcomes Visionary Frederick Schilling to its Corporate Advisory Board
Sep 21, 2023 22:30 JST
Eisai: Release of Dementia Disease Awareness Videos for World Alzheimer's Day, September 21
Sep 21, 2023 12:26 JST
JCB and BNI Launch the BNI JCB Ultimate Card
Sep 21, 2023 09:00 JST
Takasago Hydrogen Park, the World's First Integrated Validation Facility for Technologies from Hydrogen Production to Power Generation, Enters Full-Scale Operation
Sep 20, 2023 19:05 JST
HRC and Takaaki Nakagami Agree to Renew Contract
Sep 20, 2023 15:24 JST
Lexus Presents the Theme of Diversification and Electrification Aiming to Deliver New Value to Customers
Sep 20, 2023 11:22 JST
Hitachi Industrial Products to Launch High-capacity Multi-port EV Charger
Sep 19, 2023 20:06 JST
Honda and Toray Begin Joint Demonstration of Closed-loop Recycling of Nylon Resin
Sep 19, 2023 12:07 JST
Fujitsu launches new offering to support sustainable enterprise transformation as Japan's first premium supplier for RISE with SAP
Sep 19, 2023 10:34 JST
Fujitsu strengthens DX consulting capabilities with plans to acquire Australian consultancy MF & Associates - investing for government and healthcare customer success
Sep 19, 2023 10:05 JST
Quantum Computing Startup - Nanofiber Quantum Technologies Secures $8.5m Funding
Sep 18, 2023 04:40 JST
SBM Offshore and MHI Sign Partnership Agreement for FPSO CO2 Capture Solution
Sep 15, 2023 18:51 JST
Fujitsu and the Linux Foundation launch Fujitsu's automated machine learning and AI fairness technologies as Linux Foundation hosted open source projects
Sep 15, 2023 10:23 JST
A New Era: Challenges in Lunar Exploration and Manned Lunar Orbital Base Development
Sep 14, 2023 17:04 JST
MHI Becomes a Full Member of the Japan Center for Engagement and Remedy on Business and Human Rights (JaCER)
Sep 14, 2023 14:45 JST
Fujitsu and Baptist Health South Florida transform operating room scheduling with newly launched solution to boost utilization rates and the financial health of the surgical discipline
Sep 14, 2023 10:33 JST
More Latest Release >>