CONNECT WITH US:
Aug 07, 2023 16:59 JST
Building a sustainable PET bottle supply chain
The World's First Initiative for Bio-Paraxylene origin "Biomass to PET Bottles"
TOKYO, Aug 07, 2023 - (JCN Newswire) - Mitsubishi Corporation, is pleased to announce that MC, Suntory Holdings Limited and ENEOS Corporation have reached an agreement to build a supply chain for sustainable PET bottles derived from biomass(1) such as used cooking oil applying a mass balance approach(2) to allocate bio-based materials .
The supply chain is as follows, and bio-based feedstock supplied by NESTE Corporation (President: Matti Lehmus, hereinafter "NESTE") will be used as a raw material to replace fossil naphtha.
1. NESTE will supply bio-based feedstock produced from to replace fossil naphtha. manufactures bio-naphtha from biomass resources such as used cooking oil. Neste uses 100% renewable raw materials such as waste and residue oils and fats, e.g. used cooking oil.
2. ENEOS manufactures bio-paraxylene (PX)(3) derived from bio-naphtha at its Mizushima Refinery
(Using the mass balance method in the production of Bio PX)
3. Production of bio-high purity terephthalic acid (PTA)(4) and resin for bio-PET bottles (PET resin) using bio-PX
4. Suntory utilizes the bio-PET resin to produce sustainable PET bottles for its products
MC is responsible for the management of the entire supply chain mentioned above.
This is the world's first(5) production of sustainable PET bottles using bio-PX derived from bio-naphtha on a commercial scale. By the end of 2023, Bio PX equivalent to approximately 35 million PET bottles will be produced, which will be used as a raw material for Suntory's sustainable PET bottles in 2024.
Supply chain diagram
Image of mass balance
MC believes the usage of biomass for PET bottles, together with further development of the recycling system, will play an important role in the realization of a low-carbon and decarbonized society as well as in reducing dependency on fossil resources.
For PET bottles, ethylene glycol (MEG), which accounts for about 30% of the main raw material of PET resin used for PET bottles, has been produced from biomass since the past, while the remaining approximately 70% high-purity terephthalic acid (PTA) derived from paraxylene (PX) had not been converted to biomass on a commercial scale.
Through the development of this supply chain, MC will contribute to the reduction of CO2 emissions in comparison with conventional petroleum-derived products(6) by introducing PET resin produced from bio-PX.
MC will continue its efforts to convert various fossil fuel-derived plastics to bio-based plastics for the realization of a low-carbon and decarbonized society.
(1) A concept that expresses the quantity (mass) of biological resources (bio), i.e., organic resources (excluding fossil resources such as oil and coal) derived from animals and plants that can be recycled into energy and materials. Specifically, used cooking oil, etc.
(2) A process that tracks the amount and sustainability characteristics of biomass and enables allocation of such to a specific portion of the product in proportion to the input of the biomass raw materials, when biomass and non-biomass are mixed within the manufacturing and distribution of products.
(3) Paraxylene (PX) is used as a raw material for high-purity terephthalic acid (PTA), a raw material for polyester fibers and PET bottle resin conventionally manufactured from petroleum-derived naphtha.
(4) Purified terephthalic acid (PTA), a raw material for PET bottle resin, produced by oxidizing paraxylene (PX). PET bottle resin is produced by reacting PTA with ethylene glycol (MEG).
(5) As of July 31, 2023, on a commercial scale basis (according to our research).
(6) Based on a joint survey by ENEOS and Wastebox Co., Ltd. Using data from 2021 and information received from the biomass manufacturer.
Source: Mitsubishi Corporation
Sectors: Environment, ESG
Copyright ©2023 JCN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Japan Corporate News Network.
Related Press Release
Mitsubishi Corporation: The Extension of Oman LNG Businesses Interest
October 24 2023 09:26 JST
Indonesia's Tangguh Expansion Project Commences LNG Shipment
October 20 2023 14:36 JST
Mitsubishi Corporation Announcement Sale of Australian Metallurgical Coal Assets
October 18 2023 15:11 JST
Honda and MC Sign MoU to Explore New Businesses in EV Age
October 12 2023 14:02 JST
Yatsushiro City, Kyushu Electric Power Co., Inc., NTT Anode Energy Co., Ltd., and Mitsubishi Corporation Conclude a Partnership Agreement to Expedite Carbon Neutrality in Yatsushiro City
September 01 2023 10:18 JST
Mitsubishi Corporation: Participation of Sempra Infrastructure to the Detailed Study regarding the Introduction of e-methane to Japan Utilizing Cameron LNG Terminal
August 30 2023 20:58 JST
Agreement Signed to Promote Urban Development towards Carbon Neutral City of Chitose
August 07 2023 13:37 JST
JOGMEC selected a feasibility study on the establishment of an overseas CCS value chain in the "Survey on the Implementation of Advanced CCS Projects"
August 03 2023 12:31 JST
Mitsubishi Corporation: Renewables-driven Next-generation Electric Vehicle Taxi Business Launched in Fukuoka Prefecture
July 31 2023 17:46 JST
Launch of Grid-Scale Battery Operations to Effectively Utilize Solar Power in Fukuoka
July 19 2023 14:43 JST
More Press release >>
Latest Press Release
Delica Mini Wins 2023-2024 Japan Car of the Year Design Award
Dec 08, 2023 21:07 JST
Space Compass, NTT DOCOMO, NTT and SKY Perfect JSAT to Develop Direct-to-Device Service via Space-based Non-terrestrial Network
Dec 08, 2023 17:34 JST
MHI and ADNOC Sign Agreement to Explore Low Carbon Collaboration Opportunities to Build Blue NH3 and Blue H2 Value Chains
Dec 08, 2023 17:22 JST
MHI and Mitsubishi Logisnext Receive First Order from Kirin Group for an Automated Picking Solution
Dec 08, 2023 17:09 JST
Macau LRT Barra Extension Line Begins Commercial Operations on December 8
Dec 08, 2023 17:07 JST
Fujitsu and Palantir to strengthen strategic partnership to solve societal challenges and accelerate business transformation globally
Dec 08, 2023 16:28 JST
Honda to Begin Sales of Refreshed Odyssey in Japan
Dec 07, 2023 16:30 JST
Honda to Premiere New EV Series for Global Markets at CES 2024
Dec 07, 2023 13:00 JST
Vesica AI Selected as Winner of Inaugural Olympus Asia Pacific Innovation Program
Dec 07, 2023 11:00 JST
Hitachi High-Tech Launches Dark Field Wafer Defect Inspection System DI4600 to Provide High Throughput and High-Precision Defect Detection on Patterned Wafers
Dec 06, 2023 17:38 JST
Fujitsu optimizes installation of EV charging infrastructure in India with Fujitsu Fleet Optimization solution trial
Dec 06, 2023 11:02 JST
Fujitsu Finland to provide comprehensive IT services to Kempower, provider of electric vehicle fast charging solutions
Dec 05, 2023 10:52 JST
DENSO Announces Organizational and Executive Changes
Dec 04, 2023 18:12 JST
All-New Triton Earns Top Rating in 2023 ASEAN NCAP
Dec 04, 2023 17:07 JST
Fujitsu and KDDI Research successfully implement large-capacity multiband wavelength multiplexing transmission with installed optical fiber
Dec 04, 2023 10:34 JST
GC Collaborates with MHI to explore the utilization of hydrogen, ammonia and CCS technology to develop a large-scale petrochemical plant to achieve Net Zero
Dec 01, 2023 17:22 JST
NEC named among IAM's 2023 Asia IP Elite
Dec 01, 2023 14:50 JST
Eisai's Sales Subsidiary Collaborates with Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) in Thailand
Nov 30, 2023 16:25 JST
Boosting Growth Investment to Power Mobility Company Transformation Toyota-DENSO Capital Ties Revised
Nov 30, 2023 16:17 JST
Olympus's Net-Zero Targets Approved by SBTi
Nov 30, 2023 11:00 JST
More Latest Release >>