TOYOTA GAZOO Racing Presents World Debut of the New GR 86
Toyota City, Japan, Apr 05, 2021 - (JCN Newswire) - On April 5, 2021, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing (TGR) gave the new GR 86 its world debut in an online event held together with Subaru Corporation (Subaru). Following the GR Supra and GR Yaris, the new GR 86 is the third global model in TGR's GR series of sports cars. The new GR 86 is scheduled to launch in Japan in autumn 2021.
Toyota developed the original 86 with the goal of delivering the dreams and the joy of driving inherent in sports cars to its customers. Conceived as a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive vehicle with intuitive handling and instinctive responsiveness, the 86 launched in 2012. Since then, the vehicles have been utilized as base models for a variety of participatory motorsports, including rallies, one-make races, gymkhana, and dirt trials, while others have been uniquely customized. A total of more than 200,000 86s have been sold worldwide, playing the role of reliable partners for their owners.
TGR's new GR 86 and Subaru's new BRZ were jointly developed. Yet, although the two vehicles share the same vehicle base, the two companies focused on imbuing their respective models with a distinct driving feel. While engaging in friendly rivalry with the BRZ development team, TGR sought to develop a vehicle that would provide happiness to 86 fans, and realize an evolution of the 86's unique driving sensations. As a result, the new GR 86 is specially designed for sports performance, and provides direct and satisfying driving performance of the highest order.
In September 2019, Toyota and Subaru entered into a new business and capital alliance, as part of which the two companies committed to jointly engage in making ever-better cars. The new GR 86/BRZ is not only a concrete example of this commitment, but also represents a new challenge for both companies, as they seek to subvert conventional ideas of cooperation in the automotive industry. Going forward, Toyota and Subaru intend to further ally their respective strengths, deepen their relationship, and so pursue the possibilities of making ever-better cars.
Key Features of the GR 86
1. Interior and exterior designs embrace responsive handling and functional beauty
- With fender tops that extend horizontally to the beltline, the GR 86 boasts a stance distinctive of front-engine, rear-wheel-drive vehicles. Its low, horizontal underbody and narrow cabin rear combine to create a broad, low-center-of-gravity appearance.
- The front of the vehicle features the GR-specific Functional MATRIX Grille, which fuses performance and emotionality.
- The operating system--which includes the various switches and the horizontally-accented instrument panel--is optimally located to create a space that enables the driver can concentrate on driving.
- The display features a 7-inch TFT screen. Its opening animation sequence is inspired by the piston movements of the GR 86's horizontally opposed engine, and fosters a sense of excitement even before the drive begins.
2. The evolutionary new 2.4L horizontally opposed four-cylinder engine retains the unique qualities of the 86
Sporting a lightweight, compact engine with a low center-of-gravity in line with previous iterations, the GR 86 increases its displacement size from 2.0 to 2.4L. The engine delivers superior driving performance as a consequence, achieving 0-100km/h acceleration in just 6.3 seconds--down from the 7.4 seconds of the outgoing model. Engine responsiveness has also been enhanced, providing smooth, stress-free sensations from low to high rpms.
3. Inheriting an extremely low center-of-gravity front-engine, rear-wheel-drive package, the new GR86 provides a step-change in agility
- The dimensions of the new GR 86 are almost identical to the previous model. Limiting both the overall height and hip-point of the vehicle helps lower the center-of-gravity and enhance turning performance, and so delivering the agility required of an 86.
- The use of aluminum for the roof panels results in a lower center-of-gravity, while aluminum fenders and updated front seats and mufflers contribute to reduced weight.
- Body rigidity has been improved, with the goal of offering pleasurable handling in all speed ranges--from urban driving to the upper limits of performance. Torsional rigidity has been enhanced by approximately 50% over the previous model for greater steering stability.
4. Aerodynamic components are rooted in motorsports
The GR 86 features aerodynamic components seen on 86 models that participate in motorsports. These include air outlets, side sill spoilers, and other parts that improve steering responsiveness and stability.
5. A sports car that provides a secure and safe car life
The AT version of the GR 86 uses Subaru's EyeSight* Driver Assist Technology. This system of comprehensive safety technologies provides safety support during everyday driving; pre-collision safety technologies that help avoid or reduce collision impacts; and emergency rescue support and secondary collision avoidance support in the event of an accident.
*EyeSight is a registered trademark of Subaru Corporation
For more information, visit bit.ly/2Ps6FqI.
Source: Toyota Motor Corporation
Copyright ©2021 JCN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Japan Corporate News Network.
More Latest Release >>
All-New Lexus NX Premieres, Heraldling the Start of the Lexus Next Chapter
Jun 14, 2021 05:25 JST
Honda Announces the Establishment of Ashirase, Inc., a Startup Originated from IGNITION, a Honda New Business Creation Program
Jun 11, 2021 18:09 JST
Honda Begins Company-wide Expansion of its New Business Creation Program, "IGNITION," to Help Realize Ideas and Dreams of Honda Associates
Jun 11, 2021 17:10 JST
NEC upgrades its greenhouse gas reduction target to SBT1.5degC and joins RE100, a global renewable electricity initiative
Jun 11, 2021 11:02 JST
Northgate Public Services to improve patient experience and outcomes with acquisition of Vantage Health
Jun 11, 2021 10:24 JST
Drax and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Sign Pioneering Deal Towards Delivery of the World's Largest Negative Emissions Project
Jun 10, 2021 17:12 JST
Showa Denko Contracts with Seagate to Jointly Develop HAMR Technology-based HD Media
Jun 10, 2021 15:00 JST
Honda and Komatsu Announce the Start of Joint Development of Micro Excavators Powered by Swappable Batteries
Jun 10, 2021 14:48 JST
Honda Launches All-New Civic Hatchback Teaser Page on its Company Website
Jun 10, 2021 12:33 JST
Toyota's New Land Cruiser Makes World Premiere
Jun 10, 2021 09:29 JST
The 10th edition of Big CIO Show virtually convened India's top CIOs
Jun 09, 2021 15:22 JST
Eisai Receives Special Prize at Platinum Career Award 2021
Jun 09, 2021 13:44 JST
Eisai To Present Latest Data of Lemborexant at 35th Annual Sleep Meeting (SLEEP2021)
Jun 09, 2021 11:31 JST
DENSO and NTT DATA Complete Verification Test Using Vehicle and People Flow Data to Innovate the Mobility Experience
Jun 08, 2021 15:51 JST
Biogen and Eisai launch initiatives to help patients with Alzheimer's disease access ADUHELM
Jun 08, 2021 14:09 JST
Woven Alpha, Isuzu and Hino Begin Exploring the Use of Automated Mapping Platform
Jun 08, 2021 13:43 JST
Juniper Networks and NEC Build New Network for Herotel to Create South Africa's First Commercial Network Driven by Segment Routing
Jun 08, 2021 13:38 JST
FDA grants accelerated approval for ADUHELM as the first and only Alzheimer's disease treatment to address a defining pathology of the disease
Jun 08, 2021 09:47 JST
Eisai: New Data on LENVIMA (lenvatinib) Plus KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Versus Sunitinib
Jun 08, 2021 08:19 JST
MC and Jetti Agree to Form Strategic Business Alliance
Jun 08, 2021 08:10 JST