Oct 07, 2022 17:51 JST
Source: Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd.
MHI Wins Best 100 Prize at Good Design Award 2022 for EX ROVR "ASCENT" Explosion-Proof Plant Patrol Inspection Robot
- Praised for its compact body, technology, design, and advanced fusion of IoT and robotics
- Selected as one of this year's 100 best rated entries for aesthetics, concept, and potential
TOKYO, Oct 07, 2022 - (JCN Newswire) - EX ROVR "ASCENT," the second-generation explosion-proof(1) plant patrol inspection robot produced by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. (MHI), has won the "Good Design Best 100" award in the "Good Design Award 2022"(2) hosted by the Japan Institute of Design Promotion. EX ROVR "ASCENT" is a robust and reliable partner to achieve a safe working environment, protecting workers and assets by autonomously inspecting plants that process oil, gas, and chemicals. In scenes of accidents, EX ROVR "ASCENT" can be used to report the status even in areas where humans cannot access.
|"ASCENT" second-generation EX ROVR|
Good Design Best 100 winners are selected as the top 100 entries among the Good Design Award 2022 winners, based on overall judgement of aesthetics, concept, and potential. The development of the EX ROVR series started after gas leakage accident in tunnels occurred in which on-site rescuers were unable to perform activities due to the existence of flammable gases. In winning this award, EX ROVR "ASCENT" was commended for its technology and design that packs many features in a compact body to achieve safety of workers and efficient asset management, the advanced fusion of IoT and robotics, while being Zone 1 explosion-proof.
Key features of EX ROVR "ASCENT" include superior mobility achieved by its tracked driving mechanism, long reach provided by its 6 degree-of-freedom wire-actuated manipulator, and domestic and overseas explosion-proof certification such as IECEx(3) and ATEX.(4) The robot can easily navigate staircases up to 46 degrees, steps of up to 20cm, and drive through rough terrains. The manipulator can be extended to a height of 1.5 meters, which allows close-up and front-facing inspection of pressure gauges, pipes, and other inspection targets.
Spurred on by this award, MHI will further improve EX ROVR "ASCENT" in terms of both hardware and software, and continue to offer solutions based on explosion-proof robot technology to realize safety and security in diverse environments such as refineries and industrial plants.
(1) Explosion-proof devices are defined as being equipped with features that collectively limit the danger of the device igniting an explosion or fire from its own electric sparks or heat in environments filled with inflammable gas. Devices for use in industrial plants, etc. should be certified as explosion-proof.
(2) As successor of the Good Design Product Selection System founded in 1957, the Good Design Award represents Japan's activities in design evaluation and promotion, with the "G mark" award symbol widely acclaimed as a mark of superior design. More details can be found at www.g-mark.org/
(3) IECEx certificates are issued by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) and attest to the suitability of using the device in explosive atmospheres. IECEx certification, which is widely adopted internationally, is based on quality assessment standards set by the IEC.
(4) ATEX (ATmospheres EXplosibles) certification refers to two directives based on IECEx relating to explosive atmospheres and stipulate the health and safety requirements and conformity assessment procedures that must be met to bring devices or protective systems for use in explosive atmospheres to the EU market. As the ATEX directives and IECEx follow the same standards, there is fundamentally no difference in their technical details.
Please visit the [EX ROVR plant patrol inspection robot] product page at www.mhi.com/products/energy/ex_rovr.html.
About MHI Group
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) Group is one of the world's leading industrial groups, spanning energy, smart infrastructure, industrial machinery, aerospace and defense. MHI Group combines cutting-edge technology with deep experience to deliver innovative, integrated solutions that help to realize a carbon neutral world, improve the quality of life and ensure a safer world. For more information, please visit www.mhi.com or follow our insights and stories on spectra.mhi.com.
Copyright ©2023 JCN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Japan Corporate News Network.
More Latest Release >>
NEC Touts "Truly Open, Truly Trusted" Approach to Network Ecosystems for 5G and Beyond at MWC 2023 in Barcelona
Feb 07, 2023 18:06 JST
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Achieves YoY Increases in Order Intake, Revenue, Business Profit, and Net Income in Third Quarter
Feb 07, 2023 15:38 JST
Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance open a new chapter for their partnership
Feb 07, 2023 13:04 JST
KEMRI and NEC Announce Trials on Biometric-based Vaccination Management System for Newborn Children in Kenya
Feb 07, 2023 11:39 JST
Toyota Launches All-New Prius HEV in Japan
Feb 06, 2023 14:39 JST
Fujitsu Launches New Platform to Support Web3 Developers Globally
Feb 06, 2023 13:20 JST
JCB and Vietnam Prosperity Joint Stock Commercial Bank launch VPBank JCB Credit Card with a focus on Generation Z in Viet Nam
Feb 06, 2023 12:00 JST
DENSO Announces Third Quarter Financial Results
Feb 03, 2023 19:24 JST
TOYOTA GAZOO Racing in search of more Swedish snow success
Feb 03, 2023 18:10 JST
Mitsubishi Shipbuilding and INPEX Complete Conceptual Study for Ammonia Bunkering Vessel
Feb 02, 2023 17:03 JST
Fujitsu named to FORTUNE Magazine's 2023 list of "World's Most Admired Companies" for fifth year running
Feb 02, 2023 16:33 JST
Hitachi to Strengthen Business Structure to Accelerate Growth through Digital, Green, and Innovation
Feb 02, 2023 14:19 JST
Fujitsu delivers digital transformation with AI demand forecast service for TORIDOLL noodle shops throughout Japan
Feb 02, 2023 11:36 JST
Compact CO2 Capture System Receives "Awards for Excellence" at the 2022 Nikkei Excellent Products and Services Awards
Feb 01, 2023 16:52 JST
Fujitsu outlines vision for secure and sustainable network technologies at MWC Barcelona 2023
Feb 01, 2023 10:53 JST
Premiere of New Mazda CX-90 Crossover SUV
Feb 01, 2023 09:00 JST
Honda: Production, Sales and Export Results for December, 2022
Jan 31, 2023 11:57 JST
Mazda Production and Sales Results for December 2022 and for January through December 2022
Jan 31, 2023 11:08 JST
DOCOMO Conducts World's First Trial of Transmissive Metasurface on Window to Deliver Indoor Radio Waves to Outdoor Foot of Building
Jan 30, 2023 17:00 JST
Small, Efficient 5G Multisector Antenna Indoor Base Station Achieves World's First Demonstration using 28GHz
Jan 30, 2023 16:35 JST