TOYOTA GAZOO Racing Presents World Debut of the New GR 86
Toyota City, Japan, Apr 05, 2021 - (JCN Newswire) - On April 5, 2021, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing (TGR) gave the new GR 86 its world debut in an online event held together with Subaru Corporation (Subaru). Following the GR Supra and GR Yaris, the new GR 86 is the third global model in TGR's GR series of sports cars. The new GR 86 is scheduled to launch in Japan in autumn 2021.
Toyota developed the original 86 with the goal of delivering the dreams and the joy of driving inherent in sports cars to its customers. Conceived as a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive vehicle with intuitive handling and instinctive responsiveness, the 86 launched in 2012. Since then, the vehicles have been utilized as base models for a variety of participatory motorsports, including rallies, one-make races, gymkhana, and dirt trials, while others have been uniquely customized. A total of more than 200,000 86s have been sold worldwide, playing the role of reliable partners for their owners.
TGR's new GR 86 and Subaru's new BRZ were jointly developed. Yet, although the two vehicles share the same vehicle base, the two companies focused on imbuing their respective models with a distinct driving feel. While engaging in friendly rivalry with the BRZ development team, TGR sought to develop a vehicle that would provide happiness to 86 fans, and realize an evolution of the 86's unique driving sensations. As a result, the new GR 86 is specially designed for sports performance, and provides direct and satisfying driving performance of the highest order.
In September 2019, Toyota and Subaru entered into a new business and capital alliance, as part of which the two companies committed to jointly engage in making ever-better cars. The new GR 86/BRZ is not only a concrete example of this commitment, but also represents a new challenge for both companies, as they seek to subvert conventional ideas of cooperation in the automotive industry. Going forward, Toyota and Subaru intend to further ally their respective strengths, deepen their relationship, and so pursue the possibilities of making ever-better cars.
Key Features of the GR 86
1. Interior and exterior designs embrace responsive handling and functional beauty
- With fender tops that extend horizontally to the beltline, the GR 86 boasts a stance distinctive of front-engine, rear-wheel-drive vehicles. Its low, horizontal underbody and narrow cabin rear combine to create a broad, low-center-of-gravity appearance.
- The front of the vehicle features the GR-specific Functional MATRIX Grille, which fuses performance and emotionality.
- The operating system--which includes the various switches and the horizontally-accented instrument panel--is optimally located to create a space that enables the driver can concentrate on driving.
- The display features a 7-inch TFT screen. Its opening animation sequence is inspired by the piston movements of the GR 86's horizontally opposed engine, and fosters a sense of excitement even before the drive begins.
2. The evolutionary new 2.4L horizontally opposed four-cylinder engine retains the unique qualities of the 86
Sporting a lightweight, compact engine with a low center-of-gravity in line with previous iterations, the GR 86 increases its displacement size from 2.0 to 2.4L. The engine delivers superior driving performance as a consequence, achieving 0-100km/h acceleration in just 6.3 seconds--down from the 7.4 seconds of the outgoing model. Engine responsiveness has also been enhanced, providing smooth, stress-free sensations from low to high rpms.
3. Inheriting an extremely low center-of-gravity front-engine, rear-wheel-drive package, the new GR86 provides a step-change in agility
- The dimensions of the new GR 86 are almost identical to the previous model. Limiting both the overall height and hip-point of the vehicle helps lower the center-of-gravity and enhance turning performance, and so delivering the agility required of an 86.
- The use of aluminum for the roof panels results in a lower center-of-gravity, while aluminum fenders and updated front seats and mufflers contribute to reduced weight.
- Body rigidity has been improved, with the goal of offering pleasurable handling in all speed ranges--from urban driving to the upper limits of performance. Torsional rigidity has been enhanced by approximately 50% over the previous model for greater steering stability.
4. Aerodynamic components are rooted in motorsports
The GR 86 features aerodynamic components seen on 86 models that participate in motorsports. These include air outlets, side sill spoilers, and other parts that improve steering responsiveness and stability.
5. A sports car that provides a secure and safe car life
The AT version of the GR 86 uses Subaru's EyeSight* Driver Assist Technology. This system of comprehensive safety technologies provides safety support during everyday driving; pre-collision safety technologies that help avoid or reduce collision impacts; and emergency rescue support and secondary collision avoidance support in the event of an accident.
*EyeSight is a registered trademark of Subaru Corporation
For more information, visit bit.ly/2Ps6FqI.
Source: Toyota Motor Corporation
Copyright ©2021 JCN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Japan Corporate News Network.
More Latest Release >>
Mitsubishi Power Receives Order for Two Gas Turbines for 1,500MW Class GTCC Power Plant in Uzbekistan
Apr 14, 2021 15:36 JST
Honda to Introduce First Energy Service for Europe - e:PROGRESS - in the UK
Apr 14, 2021 15:11 JST
Eisai to Present Latest Data on Neurology Products and Pipelines at the American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting
Apr 14, 2021 13:49 JST
Mazda3 Named Canadian Car of the Year 2021
Apr 14, 2021 12:47 JST
Tokyo Century and DOCOMO to Globally Expand EDGEMATRIX Edge-AI Platform for Video Surveillance & Monitoring
Apr 13, 2021 17:57 JST
Fujitsu Renews Key Systems for Japan Meteorological Agency, Contributing to Completion of Centralized Virtualization Platform
Apr 13, 2021 15:28 JST
NEC recognized as a Partner of the Year by Juniper Networks for two consecutive years
Apr 13, 2021 11:52 JST
Eisai: Animation Featuring Lymphatic Filariasis Elimination Activities Receives Animation Award at International Society for Neglected Tropical Diseases Festival 2021
Apr 12, 2021 13:16 JST
Fujitsu Embarks on Partnership with Siemens Digital Industries Software Strengthening Global Competitiveness and Accelerating DX to Realize Smart, Sustainable Manufacturing
Apr 12, 2021 11:48 JST
Lexus to Display LF-Z Electrified Concept and New ES
Apr 12, 2021 11:09 JST
MHI Invests in Starfire Energy, a Modular Green Ammonia Solution Provider, to Accelerate Efforts to Energy Transition
Apr 09, 2021 17:22 JST
DENSO Develops Advanced Driver Assistance Products for New Lexus LS, Toyota Mirai
Apr 09, 2021 13:46 JST
Deltacore Capital launches Deltacore Digital Global LP
Apr 09, 2021 13:30 JST
Hitachi Astemo to showcase advanced mobility solutions at Auto Shanghai 2021
Apr 09, 2021 13:05 JST
Overview of Honda and Acura Exhibits for Auto Shanghai 2021
Apr 08, 2021 15:25 JST
NEC and Cisco expand strategic partnership to help advance global deployments of 5G IP transport networks
Apr 08, 2021 14:26 JST
Toyota Launches LS and Mirai Equipped with "Advanced Drive" that Enables Drivers and Cars to Drive Together in Japan
Apr 08, 2021 13:40 JST
Fujitsu and Trend Micro Demonstrate Solution To Secure Private 5G
Apr 08, 2021 13:08 JST
DENSO Has Begun Testing CO2 Circulation Plant at Anjo Electrifica
Apr 07, 2021 17:24 JST
DENSO Transfers Its Aftermarket and Non-automotive Business to DENSO Solution
Apr 07, 2021 16:02 JST